10.24.2010

dimland radio 10-23-10 show notes

Cold Open: Two late discoveries about our house

I told two stories about things my wife and I learned about our house after having living in it for eight years! (1)The programmable thermostat requires batteries and (2)that mysterious light switch on the wall just outside the kitchen works the outside light on the garage. Duh!

Haunted 911 appearance
I was the first member of the chat room to identify the "impression" Ray Jorden, co-host of Haunted 911, was doing on the October 13th edition of Haunted 911, so I won the chance to take part in their popular 20 questions segment. It was good fun. I enjoy being their resident skeptic and I really enjoyed their 20 questions grilling.

I recommend Ray and Wayne Punter's show, despite the fact that 90% of the show is pure paranormal nonsense. They are otherwise very entertaining and funny.

Find out more here.


It's Not True: Lunar effect

I had planned to talk about the Moon Illusion, in which the moon looks larger on the horizon than when higher in the night sky. However, even though it's not true that the reason the moon looks larger on the horizon is due to the objects on the horizon in relation to the moon, the actual reason for the illusion is not clear. At least, not clear to me. I'll have to look into this more.

So, I went with the idea that the full moon causes all sorts of extra activity. More suicides, crimes, visits to emergency rooms, werewolves, etc. have been attributed to the moon being full. Well, studies indicate that there is no connection. People just tend t
o notice the full moon and make the errant correlation.

Science Museum of Minnesota

I then took some time to talk about a recent visit to the Science Museum of Minnesota. It's an excellent museum. Science is cool. Science is real. Go to your local science museum. If you don't have a science museum nearby... move!

Here's a link to the museum.

Movie Recommendation: The Wolf Man (1941)

Another Universal classic horror film is on tap for this week's recommendation. Although far from a perfect film, it is visually striking and Jack Pierce's wolf man makeup is terrific. It's a fun film, check it out.

Put it in your Netflix queue now!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire

First ad break bumpers: 'Double Dare' by Bauhaus & 'Highwayman' by The Highwaymen
Second ad break bumpers: 'My Wife & My Dead Wife' by Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians & 'Terms of Psychic Warfare' by Husker Du
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! see you next saturday night for dimland radio 11 central, midnight eastern on
www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment