10.31.2010

dimland radio 10-30-10 show notes


Wrap up of Halloween Awareness Month

Weapon not included.

I told the story of getting Hayden's costume for this Halloween. He's going as an Ice Wolf Ninja. He spotted the costume in one of those catalogs we get in the mail at this time of year. I talked about having to go back to the store to get the mask.

Halloween storytime

I read three stories from my favorite book from my days as a child, 'Strangely Enough'. I started with 'The Man Who Fell Forever', then 'Haunted Schoolhouse', and, lastly, 'The Gauntlet in the Castle'. All very creepy tales, all undoubtedly nonsense.

Selling out with Gang of Four

The band in the days when they would never allow their songs to be used in ads.

I discussed the notion of musical artists "selling out". Neil Young was one artist who really hated to see other musical artists using their songs to sell products other than their own albums and singles. Another artist (or group of artists) I was sure I would never see used to sell some shameless product is Gang of Four. But the other night, there was an ad for some Xbox thing, I think, and my ears were greeted with the sounds of 'Natural's Not In It'.

I was stunned! Gang of Four was (is?) one of the most anti-consumerism bands I've ever known. And now they're selling some video game system? I've seen it all!

You can check out the song here.

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

I love this show! I talked about why it is so great and, as usual, I was spot on. If you haven't seen it... How can you not have seen it? Everybody has seen it! Are in al Qaeda or something?!


Movie Recommendation: Halloween (1978)

Very effective! This lower budget horror films delivers some good scares. I don't know about the other Halloween movies (I do remember seeing Halloween 2, but I don't remember much about it.) The original hits all the notes just right.

Put it in your Netflix queue now!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Dreams Reoccurring' by Husker Du & 'Natural's Not In It' by Gang of Four
Second ad break bumpers: 'Dark Entries' by Bauhaus & 'She Never Said' by The Church
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle


That's it! see you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment