5.15.2011

dimland radio 5-14-11 show notes


A Tale Of A Comic Book Collector

I have three copies of this one!

I geeked out on this show, letting myself talk about collecting comic books. I talked specifically about one particular comic book, The Incredible Hulk #181 (Nov. 1974). The reason for talking about this comic book was because I had read that it had recently sold for $150,000! I have three copies of this issue. Alas, none are in as near as good condition as that high buck getting book.

The reason for it's high value? The Incredible Hulk #181 happens to be the first full issue appearance of the highly popular character Wolverine. But 150Gs seems a bit excessive no matter how good its condition.

Read more about the big time sale here.


A Few Observations On Harry Potter

I continued waving my geek flag by talking about the Harry Potter books and movies. I really, really, really like them, so indulged myself by making these observations:

First, the most heroic character? Severus Snape.

Second, after the last book of the series (Deathly Hallows) was relea
sed J K Rowling announced that Professor Dumbledore was gay. Ok, so what? However, I made the point that I thought that Gary Oldman very subtly played the character of Sirius Black as though he was gay. It could just be me, but I got the impression that in the fifth film (The Order Of The Phoenix) Sirius had been in love (unrequitedly) with Harry's father, James Potter. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

Lastly, I wondered just how much regular education these young witches and wizards received prior to enrolling at Hogwarts. I'm fairly certain that Hogwarts doesn't teach any readin', 'ritin', or 'rithmetic. Maybe the magic in the students gets them through all that.


Movie Recommendation: Harry Potter And... ANY Of Them

Hint, hint.

Any of the seven films will be very entertaining, but if you don't know the story at all watch from the beginning (The Sorcerer's Stone) because the subsequent films assume you have been watching from the first one on.

Of the films released thus far I'd say my favorite is the sixth film (The Half Blood Prince). I'm really looking forward to the final installment which will be released this July.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ahead' by Wire
First ad break bumpers: 'Gardening At Night' by REM & 'Rock The Casbah' by The Clash
Second ad break bumpers: 'Spirits In The Material World' by The Police & 'Burning From The Inside' by Bauhaus
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment