6.05.2011

dimland radio 6-4-11 show notes


'Live' Reports And The Local News

I touched upon something local TV news stations like to do
. It's the "live" reports. However, the only live part is the reporter introducing a video piece that was put together much earlier.

A Little Talk About Music, Cool And Awful

One of the greatest songs by the greatest rock band ever!

I talked about my musical snobbery and about teaching my son about good music and crap music. I played a video of The Who playing 'Baba O'Riley' for him. His reaction was tepid. Then I played videos for two of the worst songs ever: 'We Built This City' by Starship and Meat Loaf's 'I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)'. Sheer crap. He kind of liked the Starship pile of drek. I haf no zon!

This song can be described by a word that rhymes with city.

Watch the greatness here. Watch the crap (if you dare) here
and here. And here is the trailer for 'Streets Of Fire', a film I mentioned during my talk on crap music.

"Psst! My songs suck."

Band Of Brothers And The Pacific - Compare And Contrast




My wife and I just watched the HBO miniseries The Pacific. The Pacific is sort of the companion piece of HBO's Band Of Brothers. I talked at length about the differences between the two series and actual campaigns of WWII. Both series are good, although I prefer Band Of Brothers.

Big Mac Attack!

25,000 and counting

Don Gorske has eaten over 25,000 Bic Macs since May 17, 1972. Yep, that's a record. Nope, he doesn't have high cholesterol and he isn't morbidly obese. Gorske was featured in 'Super Size Me', so I took the time to bring up some of the skepticism about the Morgan Spurlock's Oscar nominated documentary. Other people have tried the eating only fast food for a month experiment with much different results than Spurlock's.
Where Spurlock gained a lot of weight and had other physical issues, these other folks lost weight and were quite healthy.

Check out Don Gorske's achievement here. Learn more about 'Super Size Me' here. Watch 'Bowling For Morgan' here. And there's more here and here.

It's Not True: Mr. Rogers

Everyone's favorite neighbor

Well, there are some weird tales out there about Mr. Rogers. I mentioned a couple of them. He wasn't a sniper in Viet Nam, nor did he sport tattooed arms. A check of Snopes.com will clear that up
.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Pretty Green' by The Jam & 'St. Vitus Dance' by Bauhaus
Second ad break bumpers: 'Brass Monkey' by Beastie Boys & 'The Everyday Story Of Smalltown' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

No comments:

Post a Comment