4.22.2012

dimland radio 4-21-12 show notes


A Look At Sports
I started out the show talking about the perfect game pitched by Chicago White Sox pitcher, Philip Humber, earlier in the day. Very cool. I also got around to mentioning the big comeback win by the Yankees over the Red Sox.


Sick Talk

Both my son, Hayden, and I were sick last week. He missed three days of school, I missed none days of work. Kids got it so easy.

Jesus Christ!

The other day I found a flyer by our front door. The flyer was from some Christian group inviting us to some church event of something of that nature. The front of the flyer depicted Jesus as a baby, on the cross and as the ascended king of kings. Oh, and also as a white guy!

That led me to talk about what Jesus would have looked like, if he actually had existed. I mentioned two attempts to depict Jesus as he might have appeared: one done using forensic methods, including archaeological, anthropological, genetic evidence; the other using the Shroud of Turin and computer technology.

The first seems to me to be very likely. The Shroud based face still seemed a little too European looking. Which makes sense, because it's very likely that the Shroud is a artifact created in Europe in the 14th century.

I even talked a bit about the possibility that Jesus might not have even existed. In talking about that I referred to an argument made by the late, ardent atheist, Christopher Hitchens. You can hear his take here.

And you can see the two reports on what Jesus might have looked like here (the more accurate version) and here (the still too white version).


A Very Good Reason Not To Vote Republican
Well, at least not for Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen. Why not? Well, she thinks the earth is only 6000 years old.

(A moment of stunned silence.)

It's true! She's on record saying so right here. ARGH!

I gave a list of several human (and our ancestors') achievements that all took place before 6000 years ago. Such as, spears, rope, pottery, and beer! I pulled that list from here and here.



Movie Recommendation: Monty Python's Life Of Brian (1979)

Homemade Films

A brilliant comedy by Monty Python satirizing the life of Jesus. It follows Brian as he is mistaken for being the long-awaited messiah. "I am not the messiah!" "You are the messiah, I should know! I've followed a few!" Brilliant
.

Tau 2000 Library Fundraiser
Chris Brown's son Ethan is putting on an event to benefit his local library. The event is tied in with the number Tau (6.28) which is 2 x Pi (3.14). Ethan will be attempting to recite from memory Tau out to 2000 places and people can pledge a certain amount per digit to help his library. The event is to take place May 6, 2012.

You can learn more and pledge to this fine cause here
.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Boy Who Cried Wolf' by The Style Council & 'Move Me' by The Woodentops
Second ad break bumpers: 'Beatle Boots' by Love Tractor & 'Unfinished Business' by Au Pairs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment