8.12.2012

dimland radio 8-11-12 show notes




Sex Talk And Losing My Train Of Thought

Prior to my going on the air, I caught a little of the replay of another Z Talk show, Hot & Bothered.  Joe and Stacy and their guest were talking sex.  It was a little more than I could handle.
Then something popped into my head to talk about.  It had to do with my son's hobby of searching Google images and how once we found some nudie shots of some woman.  But that wasn't what popped into my head.  I actually lost my train of thought and couldn't think of what had sent me on a tangent.
 
I remember now, but I'll make you wait until next Saturday.
 
A Tale Of A Mini Vacation


Amy, Hayden, and I went camping last weekend.  That's why I didn't do a show last Saturday.  I told the story of the trip.  We went to Split Rock Lighthouse State Park to camp and took in a few local sites.  I spoke of the Split Rock Lighthouse, Lake Superior, hauling in camping equipment, swimming in Lake Superior, star-gazing, an overnight thunder storm, humming birds, bats, muskrat, Gooseberry Falls, a C-130 Hercules aircraft, skipping stones, roasted marshmellows, and so much more.

Sick Not Seek

Having been outraged by the way the news readings were pronouncing Sikh, the religious sect that is an offshoot of Islam and had recently been thrust in the news due to a mass killing event, as "sick" and not "seek."  I had heard it as "seek" all my life, until Friday morning.  Apparently, the proper way to say it is "sick."

Read about how to say Sikh here.


Images From Mars

Curiosity, the Mars rover, landed on the Red Planet recently and some cool pictures have been coming back from it.  And, from what I understand, even more awesome pictures are on the way.  Pictures from the surface of another planet!  So cool!
 
I also talked about an image depicting Earth, Venus, and Jupiter in the Martian sky.  I had shared the image on my Facebook page and an FB friend burst that bubble by posting a link to Phil Plait's blog exposing image as a fake.

Well, I get can caught, too.  Here's the Bad Astronomer's explanation of the image.
 

Movie Recommendation: Paths Of Glory (1957)
 
Bryna Productions
 
Directed by Stanley Kubrick and starring Kirk Douglas, this anti-war film beautifully depicts the futility and insanity of war.  Ordered on an impossible mission during WW1, Douglas is forced to defend three of his men on charges of cowardice for failing to take the too well defended German position.  An excellent film!

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Go' by The Replacements & 'Entre Nous' by Rush
Second ad break bumpers: 'Reel Around The Fountain' by The Smiths & 'Keep Looking' by Sade
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment