8.19.2012

dimland radio 8-18-12 show notes





Breaking A Rule And Upsetting A Listener

So, here's what I did...
 
When I started off the show, I got right into talking about the Olympic games, specifically the closing ceremonies.  However, before I got to that subject, it popped into my head to mention that claims of Kinesio Tape isn't exactly backed by science.  In doing so, I called it "woo."  I violated my rule of not using that term on my show.  I figure it isn't the best way to influence people into thinking rationally.
 
Not only that, but I upset a listener in chat who told me I didn't know what the claims were about Kinesio Tape and that I didn't exactly back up my claim that it is woo.  He was right.  It was an of the top of my head moment as I was trying to recall what I had heard on a recent Skeptic's Guide To The Universe Podcast.  I didn't have that info written down and I should have.
 
That still doesn't make the claims of Kinesio Tape valid.  I will address this next week.  In the meantime, read Dr. Steven Novella's piece on this tape here.
 
Olympic Closing Ceremonies Observations

I spent a good deal of the show making observations of the Closing Ceremonies of the 2012 London Summer Olympics.  I liked much of it and I did talk about some of the aspects I like, but definitely got into a few things that I didn't like.  I think that's enough, if I get into it any more it will end up taking too much space.

A Pedantic Moment: Coleslaw?

An ad for Ford trucks featuring Mike Rowe has a beefy fellow asking if they can fill the back of the truck with coleslaw.  Really?  Coleslaw?  That's what they came up with?

Revising History

There those who carry a lot of guilt about Pres. Harry Truman's decision to drop atomic bombs, one each, on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki to force an end of WWII.  Revisionists claim that the Japanese were about to surrender is untrue.  The actual history does not bear that up.

This video gives a realistic view of the situation and horrible choices Pres. Truman faced 67 years ago.
 
Movie Recommendation: The Sting (1973)
 
 
  Universal Studios
 
This best picture winner is excellent entertainment.  All about the big con and, if you haven't seen it before, it'll con you good!.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'A Man Of Great Promise' by The Style Council & 'One Day' by The Church
Second ad break bumpers: 'Lifeline' by Husker Du & 'Controversy' by Prince
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment