9.16.2012

dimland radio 9-15-12 show notes




Star Trek: TOS Was Pretty Stupid

Yes, I admitted it.  The original series of Star Trek could be awfully stupid.  I gave examples.  I also gave examples of a couple of the better episodes.  And then...
 
Star Trek: TOS Vs. Star Trek: TNG

I played a couple of clips from Star Trek, one from the original series and one from The Next Generation.  Each clip commented on religion and you could see the change in attitude from 60s television to 80s television.  In my opinion, Capt. Picard gets it right.
 
You can watch the clips on YouTube.  The original series clip is here and the other clip is here.

It's Not True:  John Wayne Was Full Of Crap
 
Well, John Wayne may have been full of crap metaphorically, but when he died his colon was not filled with 40 pounds of fecal matter as an internet rumor claims.  Snopes.com gets the poop straight here.

9/11 Observations

It's been eleven years already.  I talked a bit about the occasion, especially about how David Letterman and Jon Stewart addressed the attacks when they resumed producing their shows.  Both talks were very heart-felt and moving.  You can see Dave's here and Jon's here.
 
Religion Of Peace?

I made some observations on the recent attacks on American Embassies in some Muslim nations.  I talked about having difficulty accepting the notion that Islam is a religion of peace while seeing the violence in reaction, allegedly, to a film about their prophet, Muhammed.  I've watched the trailer for the film on the YouTube.  It's exceedingly amateurish and difficult to understand what's going on with several obvious overdubs of the dialogue.
 
Pedantic Moment: Your Shoe Size And Your Age
 

This you can try at home.

I followed the instructions of the above graphic and it doesn't work for me.  It gets my shoe size correct, but not my age.  I think I proved them wrong.
 
Religious FAQs



I quickly went over David McAfee's Facebook series of Religious FAQs.  (I may have pronounced David's name incorrectly as I described him and his Facebook mission.  Sorry, David.)  David has written a book called "Disproving Christianity and Other Secular Writings" and his new book, "Mom, Dad, I'm An Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out a Non-Believer" will be published soon.  On his Facebook page his respectfully debates believers and he decided to put together a list of FAQs.  I shared the first three on the show and might share more in future episodes.
 
Movie Recommendation: Breaking Away (1979)
 

20th Century Fox
 
This 1979 film is the Rocky of team cycling.  And it's much more than that.  It follows four friends adjusting to post high school life in a college town in Indiana.  The story is uplifting and heartfelt.  The relationship between a father and his cycling enthusiast son is excellent.  This film won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture and Best Director and is worth a watch.  So, watch it! 

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Good Thing' by The Woodentops & 'Jean's Not Happening' by The Pale Fountains
Second ad break bumpers: 'Guess I Must Have Been In Love With Myself' by Pete Shelley & 'Love Is Stronger Than Pride' by Sade
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment