9.09.2012

dimland radio 9-8-12 show notes





Arrogance And Aliens

So, just before I took to the air with another brilliant show, I listened in on one of Z Talk's other shows.  It was the not as skeptical as I would like Skeptical Edge with Joe Couto and Kale Kelly.  Their guest made the false dichotomy argument that skeptics not believing that aliens are visiting the earth are arrogant to think that in the vastness of the universe there is no other life.  Those are two separate notions!  The latter is definitely possible despite the lack of evidence, the former has no credible evidence to support believing it at all.
 
Um

My niece listened to a recent music show I had done and gave me some grief for all the ums and uhs that she heard me do.  I try not to, but I'm not always successful.

One Lying Image On Facebook
 


There are many more than just one, but this one in particular really got my goat!  It's a fabricated image.  Someone who evidently doesn't care for Mitt Romney, and has some skill using Photoshop, decided it would be a good idea to manufacture an image unflattering to that candidate for the presidency.  The image (above) is meant to give us the impression that Romney's campaign buttons are made in China.  That is certainly possible, but we cannot make that conclusion based on this faked image.

How do I know it's faked.  Well, at first I relied on my expertise in graphic arts and Photoshop, but then two of my Facebook friends provided links to further evidence of the fakery.  See image below, look familiar?
Sure the front is different and there's no "made in China", but come on!
 
Click here to see even more examples of the buttons and here to read how both parties have pledged that all official merchandise is made in America.

4th Grade And A New Teacher

My son started the 4th grade this past week.  He's excited to be back to school and his teacher seems a decent fellow.  I have a good feeling about this guy, because as you walk into his classroom you are greeting by a scaled down replica of the "leg lamp" from the charming film 'A Christmas Story'.  Excellent!
 
This Is Just Wrong...

Speaking of 'A Christmas Story,' are you aware that there is a sequel about to be released?  True it's straight to DVD, but still!  The official stance of Dimland Radio is to not recognize the existence of this abomination.
 
See the Stuck In The 80s blog entry on this tragic news here.  If you read through the comments you will see a very eloquent posting by a Dr. Dim.  Who could that be, I wonder?
 
Brown M&Ms And Van Halen

Have you heard the stories of rock and pop artists making weird demands in the contracts for their live shows?  The stories speak of an image of spoiled diva behavior, but, in Van Halen's case at least, there is a method to their madness.  David Lee Roth explains the reasoning here.

Movie Recommendation: Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
 

Warner Bros.
 
Starring Robert Redford this film depicts the life of mountain man, Jeremiah Johnson, from green, unprepared, mountain rookie to experienced, battle-tested mountain living expert.  It's one of six films that Redford made with director Sydney Pollack.  There are long stretches of no dialog, but don't let that scare you.  My son and I watched this movie earlier in the day.  He gives it a thumbs up (apologies to Siskel & Ebert). 

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Some Journey' by Suzanne Vega & 'Let's Go Down To The Woods And Pray' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Spirit Of The Radio' by Rush & 'Are Everything' by The Buzzcocks
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment