11.11.2012

dimland radio 11-10-12 show notes



A Freelance Project

It's filled with debauchery, lewdness, strange behavior, and inside jokes.  It's one of the few freelance projects I do each year.  A local fraternity has an annual pub crawl and each year they have t-shirts made for the occasion.  I've been doing their design since the late 90s and each year it gets more complicated.  But I do enjoy the challenge and the fellas are so appreciative.  And they pay.

 
A Fellow ZTalker Gets On The News

Every year as Halloween approaches local TV news organizations run "fluff" stories about haunted houses, ghosts, and ghost hunters or some such related nonsense.  Well, in Arizona one such story ran and it featured fellow ZTalker Kale Kelly.  It also featured an Arizona skeptic and gave that skeptic equal time AND the last word.  I was impressed.

You can see that report here.

Snow Driving

Inspired by a loyal listener in chat, I told a couple harrowing tales of driving through snow storms.  One story happened to me, so you know that's true.  The other was a story told to me by my father about a fellow with whom he worked.  That story might not be true, but I don't think my dad made it up.  Still.

Election 2012 Round-up

You may have heard that Pres. Obama won re-election.  I mentioned that, but I also talked about anti-science Rep. Paul Broun and his re-election.  There was a write-in campaign for Charles Darwin in that otherwise uncontested race.  Darwin did get almost 4000 votes.  A far cry from being able to win, but maybe a message was sent.

I also talked about Minnesota's own national embarrassment, Michele Bachmann.  She, too, was re-elected, but by the narrowest of margins.  This despite her having out spent her Democrat opponent by 12 to 1 and that her district had been recently redrawn to be even more Republican.  Maybe a message was sent there, too.


The Evil Empire Buys Star Wars

No, not the Hated Yankees, in this case by "evil empire" I mean Disney.  Disney has purchased the Star Wars franchise for a mere four billion dollars.  There is some trepidation and some excitement at this news.  Will Disney damage the Star Wars brand even worse than George Lucas has?  Well, I'm optimistic.  So, is the writer of this list of reasons why the new trilogy won't suck.  I guess time will tell.

Movie Recommendation: Field Of Dreams (1989)

Universal Studios

The Facebook page The Movie Hobo posted the question asking followers to name a movie or scene that makes them cry.  Well, as much as I hate to admit that I'm capable of such a thing, one movie immediately popped to mind.  'Field Of Dreams' is a love letter to baseball, a ghost story, a tale of obsession, redemption and second chances.  It has a hippie undercurrent vibe to it and a somewhat unnecessary anti-censorship element, but overall it is touching and heartwarming.

And, in the end, Costner delivers a line that brings a tear to my eye every time I watch it.  I don't want to spoil it, so all I'll say is it has to do with playing catch.  I'm tearing up now.  I better go. 


Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Tom Sawyer' by Rush & 'Your Phone's Off The Hook (But You're Not)' by X
Second ad break bumpers: 'Straight Lines' by Suzanne Vega & 'Bitter Fruit' by The Alley Cats
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment