4.21.2013

dimland radio 4-20-13


It's Happened Again

Yet again our country is stunned by a senseless act of terror against innocent bystanders.  This past Monday, during the Boston Marathon, two bombs went off killing three spectators and wounding more than 170 others. 
As I recorded this show, the suspects were still at large.  Thanks to the efforts of the Boston Police, the Watertown Police, the FBI, and one very courageous citizen, one suspect has be apprehended and another has been killed.  Unfortunately, one police officer has been killed during the process of bringing the evildoers to justice.

I echoed Craig Ferguson's sentiment as he commented about the US and the world being subjected to this senseless violence yet again.  I stated, again, that I have no answers, no magic solution to this kind of insanity.

I mentioned two people who have helped me keep from giving up on humanity: Patton Oswalt and Mister Rogers.  Patton posted a message of defiance and hope, noting that those who are good in this world will always outnumber those who commit these acts of evil.
 
Mister Rogers, although he died several years ago, he nonetheless has left us with comforting words to help us through these moments of inexplicable violence.  I cannot express just how much I miss Fred Rogers.

And just as an aside, you will note that neither Patton nor Mister Rogers invoke a god.  I don't mean to stir anything up here, just pointing out it is possible to give comfort and hope to others without invoking the supernatural.

Alex Jones Is An Extraordinary Piece Of Human Garbage

I suppose I should try to be understanding toward Alex Jones due to what is likely his suffering some kind of mental illness.  I'll try, but it ain't easy when his sick mind sees deep and dangerous conspiracies behind every event, especially tragic ones.
 
The smoke from the bombs had hardly cleared before this slimeball took to the Twitterverse to suggest our government was somehow behind this madness.  He seems to believe every event is a "false flag" meant to further some evil agenda.

It's a good thing I don't believe in hell, because if it did exist I'd wish for a special place in it for scum like Alex Jones.
 
 
Never Found In The 80s:  Let's Active

Another in my guest blog series on the Stuck in the 80s blog.  This time I posted about the Never Found in the 80s artist Let's Active. I featured their not a hit song Every Word Means No.  It's a bit of alternative pop that should have found a larger audience.

Most Unfortunate News

More sad news, although much less tragic than the bombings, from this past Monday (April 15th).  It was on that day, Brian Dunning ended his long battle against charges of wire fraud.  Brian plead guilty as part of a plea bargain of which we have no details.

This is very unfortunate, because Brian is such a luminary in the skeptical movement.  His podcast, Skeptoid, and his vodcast, In Fact..., have been helping to spread critical thought for many years.  But because of this legal action, he will now have the taint of being a convicted felon.  This gives him something in common with scumbags like Sylvia Browne and Kevin Trudeau, who, in my opinion, do nothing but leech of human gullibility and fear.

I'm told by a reliable source that Brian is making an effort to ensure that Skeptoid will continue should he be sentenced to prison time.  At this time, it seems likely he will be going to prison.

Such a shame.

Dimland Radio Science Heroes

Fortunately, I was able to uplift the show's spirits, if you will, by announcing three more Dimland Radio Science Heroes: The Tampa Bay Times, Tim Nickens, and Dan Ruth.

They were awarded a Pulitzer Prize for their editorial series on the anti-fluoride activities in Florida.  A city council in the Sunshine State had been successful in getting the fluoride out of their municipal water.  This is a bad thing.  Fluoride is a benefit to us in its ability to help prevent tooth decay, especially in children.

But there are those who erroneously fear that the chemical is cancer-causing or is some kind of mind control.  Well, Dimland Radio's Science Heroes helped to right the wrong and get the fluoride back in the water.

Movie Recommendation: None This Week
 

I wanted to have time to dedicate a song to Martin Richard, the eight year-old killed in the Boston Marathon bombing.  An image of Martin has been making its way around the internet.  In what is now an example of sad irony, the photo shows Martin holding a placard he had made asking for peace and "no more hurting people."

I played Pete Townshend's Stop Hurting People in honor of Martin and the others who lost life or limb in this past Monday's act of senseless violence.  You had to be listening Saturday, as that was the only way you could hear the song.  I cannot include it in the download of the show.

Peace.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Buck Hill' by The Replacements & 'Every Word Means No' by Let's Active
Second ad break bumpers: 'This Wheel's On Fire' by Siouxsie & the Banshees & 'Why Did I Fall For That' by The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment