4.14.2013

dimland radio 4-13-13 show notes


Star Stuff
One tough little girl!

I was commissioned to do a portrait of one tough, little girl.  She's been dealing with a bad ticker and set of lungs since before she was born.  I finished the portrait some weeks ago, but it wasn't until earlier this week that it finally arrived at its destination. 
 
The mother let me know that she had received the portrait and she was quite surprised (I was commissioned by a third party) and very happy with it.
 
See?  An atheist can have a heart.

A Hard Spring

It's been quite a week for my wife and fellow ZTalkers Jenny and Scotty.  All of whom have ended up in the hospital.  My wife had emergency gall bladder removal, Jenny had a kidney infection, and Scotty was leaking spinal fluid.

I couldn't help but make the observation that it was science-based medicine that pulled them all through.  Not chiropractors, not hand waving, not prayers, just actual medicine.
 
Never Found In The 80s:  Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians
 
Another in my guest blog series of musical artists Never Found in the 80s for the Stuck in the 80s blog.  This entry is the great Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians.  I picked their excellently bizarre The Man With The Lightbulb Head.

You can read my piece here.


My First Skeptical Conference

What do PZ Myers, Hemant Mehta, Greta Christina, Zach Weinersmith, JT Ebehard, and Tim Farley all have in common?  They were all seen by yours truly at the first ever SkepTech conference in Minneapolis.  They each gave interesting and enlightening talks.

It was the first such conference I've ever attended.  It was very enjoyable and it was free.  And free fits right into my budget. 

Movie Recommendation: The Hudsucker Proxy (1994)
 
Warner Bros/Universal Studios

One of the Coen brothers unjustifiably overlooked films.  It's very funny and it is the second film recommendation in a row in which Paul Newman plays a significant role.  It also stars Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Charles Durning.  It's available on disk at Netflix, so please stop overlooking this terrific movie.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Who Dunnit' by Genesis & 'The Man With The Lightbulb Head' by Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Second ad break bumpers: 'Homebreakers' by The Style Council & 'All That I Wanted' by Belfegore
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment