4.07.2013

dimland radio 4-6-13 show notes


Roger Ebert Has Died

Well, now there really will never be a Siskel & Ebert reunion.   Of course, we knew that because Gene Siskel died long ago and once you're dead you're dead.

So, now Roger Ebert has also died.  That's a bummer.  I talked about being a long time watcher of the best movie review show ever and how I stayed loyal through Gene's death, Richard Roeper replacing Gene, Roger's illness and his subsequent leaving the show, and Roeper's leaving the show.  But, when the show's producers decided to change the format that had worked so well, I stopped watching.

Pedantic Moment: "Everybody's Talking About..."

The phrase "everybody's talking about" is a bit of hyperbole that's bugged me for a long time.  Sure, we know it's a gross exaggeration, but it still gets under my skin and I finally got around to talking about it. 

Dimland Radio's Look At Sports

The sports injury the everybody is talking about!  Kevin Ware of the Louisville Cardinals college basketball team broke his leg on national television last Sunday.  It was during the "Elite Eight" game between Louisville and the Duke Blue Devils and it was horrific!

Although Hayden (my son) and I were watching the game, we didn't see the injury as it happened, but I did see the replay.  Holy crap!  That was nasty!

The injury was almost identical to the broken leg Joe Theismann suffered in 1985 as quarterback for the Washington Redskins.  The injury made it Joe's last game.

I talked about the difference in how network TV handled showing the leg break in 1985 compared to today.  And I talked about how my dad enjoyed my squeamishness about Joe's injury and how dear old Dad liked to trick me into watching the replay. 
 
Never Found In The 80s:  Big Black

My second installment of my guest blog series of musical artists that never found a mainstream audience in the 80s.  This time I wrote about the Chicago band Big Black, a very edgy and angry band that was too edgy and angry to get near the American Billboard charts.

You can read my piece here.


JREF's 2013 Pigasus Awards
 

It has been my tradition to talk about the Pigasus Awards each year and this year was no exception.  You can find the list here.

Your Eyes Can Deceive You, Don't Trust Them

Old Ben Kenobi knew what he was talking about a long time ago in a galaxy... You know the rest.

There's a video of dancing girls wearing half white and half black and as they dance your eyes play tricks on you.  Watch the video and remember that it was taken with good lighting.  Imagine what tricks your eyes will play on you when you are in the dark, wandering around looking for ghosts.


Movie Recommendation: Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid (1969)
 
20th Century Fox

A classic Western of which even my son approves.  It's funny and adventurous.  And it has a terrific chase sequence that rolls out over several minutes with the two train robbers trying to shake a group of trackers who just won't go away.  "Who are those guys?"

It stars Paul Newman and Robert Redford as Butch and Sundance and was directed by George Roy Hill.  The movie also features Katharine Ross, Strother Martin and Ted Cassidy and has the BJ Thomas hit song 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head' by Burt Bacharach and Hal David.

Hayden and I highly recommend this movie.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Spy World' by Wall Of Voodoo & 'Kerosene' by Big Black
Second ad break bumpers: 'Strange Thing' by Buzzcocks & 'Love Song' by The Cure
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment