6.30.2013

dimland radio 6-29-13 show notes


Sick Son Update
 
He ain't sick anymore!  The pneumonia has cleared up.  We do have him on an asthma attack plan, however.  Hayden doesn't have full own asthma, but often times when he is recovering from a cold he exhibits asthma-like symptoms, so he now has some meds for just those occasions.
 
Dude Has To Be There Quick, But...
 
He still has time to fight.
 
I told of a traffic incident Amy and I had some years ago.  The other driver and his friend were in such a hurry they wanted me to run a red light.  I didn't.  So, they did something rude and didn't get that much farther on.  We taunted them a little and then they found time in their hurried schedule to invite me to fight.

I didn't.


Dimland Radio Science Hero:  Sarah Michelle Gellar
 
TV's Buffy the Vampire Slayer is on board with getting people vaccinated against pertussis (whooping cough).  And not just kids, but adults as well.  Adults need to get their busters as they can spread the illness to their kids.
 
 
Never Found In The Eighties: My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
 
This entry in my Never Found in the 80s series is a little different.  Instead of focusing on a musical artist, I focused on an album that should have been found in the 80s.  It is the 1981 album 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' by Brian Eno and David Bryne.

It's an excellent record featuring sampled voice as lead vocals in the songs.  Very cool.

See my write-up on this overlooked album here.
 
Croup Cough And Breast Implants
 
Don't freak out!  I'm not saying croup and breast implants are related in any way other than I learned something about both while I worked cleaning a medical clinic some years ago.
 
Dimland Radio Science Zero: The Manchester Museum
 
There's an ancient Egyptian statuette in the Manchester Museum in England that appears to be turning all on its own.  The museum representative in this clip gets a zero for preferring to mystery monger instead of explaining how low friction, vibration, an uneven base and offset center of gravity can combine to cause the ancient statuette to turn ever so slowly.  It's not the spirit of Osiris and some long dead Egyptian.
 
Here is the most likely explanation of how the object is moving.
 
A Little Gun Play
 
 This is the weapon I fired!
 
Completely out of the blue, an old friend called and asked if I'd go to the shooting range with him.  I said I would.  And soon after I was firing an R-15 rifle.  Who says I can't be spontaneous?
My best side.

Part Of The Social Contract...
 
Is not parking at the gas pump if you aren't getting gas!  My shootin' buddy did just that.  I tried to explain to him that is what not what people in a society that cares about others in that society ought to do, even if there are plenty of open pumps!

It reminded me of an TV ad campaign that showed people breaking this social contract.  The ad drove me crazy then and my friend is one of those people!

Movie Recommendation: Legend Of Hell House (1973)

Twentieth Century Fox

I have recommended this movie before, but with the recent passing of writer Richard Matheson, I thought I'd recommend one of my favorites of his work.  He wrote the screenplay based on his book.  This is a low-fi horror movie that relies on atmosphere and things unseen to build tension and suspense.  Please, check it out!

Music heard on the show (These songs are linked above)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'It All Depends' by Figures & 'The Jezebel Spirit' by Brian Eno/David Bryne
Second ad break bumpers: 'Melt The Guns' by XTC & 'Chartered Trips' by Husker Du
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment