10.21.2013

dimland radio 10-19-13 show notes


I Won The Lottery!

Ok, not really.  I've been summoned to jury duty for the second time in my life.  That's like winning a lottery nobody wants to win.  And I've now won it twice.

My First Tour Of Jury Duty

I talked about the first time I did jury duty and that I did get on a case.  I gave my recollections on that case and some other interesting aspects of it.  At least, I hope they were interesting.

I mentioned the impressive statue that slowly rotates in the atrium of the Ramsey County Courthouse in St. Paul, MN.  It's called Vision of Peace.  I mistakenly called it the Spirit of Justice.  Where did I get that name from?

Look!  An orb!  G-g-g-not a ghost!  I don't know who the dude is. 

Never Found In The 80s: The Screaming Tribesmen & The March Violets

After a short absence, two bands have recently been profiled in my Never Found in the 80s series for the Stuck in the 80s blog.  In October, I'm doing a Goth and/or Halloween theme.  I featured Australia's The Screaming Tribesmen and their song 'Date With A Vampyre', and England's The March Violets and their song 'Snake Dance'.

Ms. Show-Us-Your-Boobs 1993 Might Be In Trouble On The View
 
Non-scientist Jenny McCarthy's position on The View is rumored to be in jeopardy.  These are just rumors, mind you.  But we can hope they are true, can't we?
 
What's Your Excuse?

Maria Kang, a year ago, posted online a picture of herself with her three young sons under the headline - What's Your Excuse? and she's been getting grief for it ever since. Ms. Kang has a fitness trainer's body.  She had it before she was pregnant and she got it back after each pregnancy.  Is this body shaming of post-pregnancy women?  I think, yes.  But, could it also be an inspiration to post-pregnancy women to workout and get their bodies back into healthy shape?  I think, yes.

So, what's the excuse?  Not every woman has the same body type that Ms. Kang has or the lifestyle she has that allows her to exercise several hours a day.  She would do better to encourage people to be healthy.  And maybe that's what she is trying to do.

I should note I talked about body types: Ectomorph, Endomorph, and Mesomorph.  I've seen the validity of these body types being questioned.  I'll see what I can find out.  But let's just say that genetics plays a big part in the sort of body you can achieve through proper diet and exercise.

I also mentioned Ms Kang is a fitness trainer.  She says she is not a personal trainer.  However, bodybuilding.com's profile of her states in part, "her exptensive fitness background expands (sic) a period of over 14 years as a personal trainer, group exercise director and instructor..."  Something's not meshing there.

Here is a viewpoint suggesting that Maria Kang isn't really body shaming people.


A Dimland Radio Look At Sports

I made a prediction!  This is purely emotional.  Sometimes my skepticism gets clouded when I think about sports.  Especially, when it comes to the MN Vikings.  So, Monday (10/21) night the Vikes will be heading to the Meadowlands to take on the 0 - 6 NY Giants.  Prediction: MY VIKES AT 1 - 4 WILL GIVE THE GIANTS THEIR FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON!

But, it's purely emotional, so I guess we'll see Monday night.
 
Movie Recommendation: The Shining (1980)
Warner Bros
 
This Stanley Kubrick horror classic was initially panned when released by many film critics and audiences weren't too thrilled with it.  I saw it when it was released, I was 15 or 16, and I liked it and thought it was so creepy.  Time has changed opinions on this movie and it is now looked on as a great an unique film.  Here is what Roger Ebert said about it.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Date With A Vampyre' by The Screaming Tribesmen & 'Snake Dance' by The March Violets
Second ad break bumpers: 'Villiers Terrace' by Echo & the Bunnymen & 'My Mother The War' by 10,000 Maniacs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment