10.13.2013

dimland radio 10-12-13 show notes


Scam Alert

I passed on a message to one of our employees the other day.  A Sheriff Ricky Clark (at one point I slipped and called him Ricki Lake) of Lamb County, Texas needed to get a hold of that employee.  Minutes after I gave the message, the employee called me back and told me it was a scam.  Apparently, this guy claimed our employee owed money and if she didn't pay she'd be arrested.  It's just a scam to get money. 
 
A Google search quickly found that this caller should just be ignored.

It's Been 30 Years?!

On Saturday (10-5) Johnson High School Class of '83 got together to celebrate it's been 30 years already.  I gave a few observations and related a bit about a driving error I made as Amy and I headed home.  No one was hurt and no one got into any trouble.  Phew.
 
Missed Opportunity

I'd been meaning to talk about this for weeks, but just couldn't get to it.  But, finally I was able to tell of a moment that was presented to me to help someone think differently (maybe even skeptically) about gas prices lowering as elections approach.
 
I could have told her the gas prices might go down leading up to elections here in the states as a way for the party in power to take that issue off the table.  OR, maybe gas prices go down around elections, because elections take place in the fall after the summer driving season has ended.  So, the summer driving season ends, which leads to less long traveling by gas-powered vehicles, which then leads to less demand for gas.  Less demand, lower prices.  It's simply supply and demand economics.

I could have used that moment to tell someone that.  But all I said was, "It seems that way."
 
It's Not True: Mister Rogers Rumors
 
I hadn't done an It's Not True in a while.  So, I pulled this from Snopes.com to dispel the internet of the many rumors surrounding the awesome and very missed Fred Rogers.  He was never a criminal, never in the military, he didn't have arms sleeved in tattoos, and he didn't give the finger to his audience on his last show.

It's all right here.
 
Positive Results?  In The Doctor's Office?  I Don't Think so!

There's an ad on the radio with some doctor touting that his nonsurgical system of med combinations will help male patients with their erectile dysfunction.  I'm dubious of the claim, but maybe it works.

The fellow claims patients will have "positive results" in just 45 minutes on their first visit or there is no charge.  A "positive result"?  At the doctor's office?  Um, I think I'll pass.
 
Movie Recommendation: The Black Cat (1934)
Universal Pictures
 
It's October.  It's time to recommend some good horror movies, so I recommend Universal's The Black Cat released in 1934.  It is the first pairing of the classic horror icons Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff.  It's a good-looking film with some good moments, but it really has nothing to do with the Edgar Allan Poe story on which the film is based.  There is a black cat in it.  The similarity ends there.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Down In The Siene' by The Style Council & 'Antonin Artaud' by Bauhaus
Second ad break bumpers: 'Ronnie's Song' by Urban Guerrillas & 'Grass' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment