10.06.2013

dimland radio 10-5-13 show notes


Congratulations, Mr. Fitzsimons, It's A...Cat

With the passing of my mother-in-law, we have a new member of the family.  My father-in-law had to move in with my brother-in-law and his wife and dog.  The dog is a Boxer and she is very energetic and would be a challenge to Mom and Dad's cat, so we have her now.  Her name is Callie and she's been adjusting.  And, with the help of over the counter allergy medicine, so am I.

Neat Stuff

The last two shows were pretty heavy with me talking about the loss of my mother-in-law, so this week I decided to talk about the neat stuff we've been finding in their house.  My in-laws didn't have much money, but they had lots of old items that had been in the family for a long time.

Stuff that includes miniature furniture for a doll house, two old and very ornate ceremonial swords, a Mason's ostrich-feathered dress hat and medal, and lots of old photographs.  Included in the old photos was one of my mother-in-law at age 14.  The photo was featured in the Minneapolis Tribune in May 1954 after a particularly windy day.
Yes, she did some modeling when she was younger.  Ain't she cute as a button? 

Never Found In The 80s:  The Fall

My latest blog entry on the Stuck In The 80s was about the avant-garde, punkish band from the UK - The Fall.  Read my piece here.

Invisible Mom Baby Pictures

Folks in the UK will be familiar with the very funny, sort of quiz show QI.  The show is hosted by the great Stephen Fry.  If you're not in the UK and you are unfamiliar with the show you can find several episodes on YouTube.  The show is about quite interesting facts from history, science, and popular culture.  In fact, QI stands for quite interesting.

Well, on one of the episodes I learned about "invisible mom" photography.  In the early days of photography, with the long exposure times, when people wanted pictures of their babies and small children, but not the moms, the photographer would cloak the mother in a blanket or some sort of furniture cover, so she could be close to the child to keep him/her calm, but not be seen.

Quite interesting, isn't it?

Well, I told my wife about it and a few days later she found that we have a family picture that features the "invisible mom".  We don't know who the family member is, but it's a cool keepsake (see below).


Yep, that's a mom behind that baby. Look closely, you can see the back of her dress.

Kari Byron Likes Them Big?

I had quite the laughing jag recently when my wife, son, and I were watching the latest Mythbusters on Netflix.  In one experiment, the B squad (Tory Belleci, Grant Imahara, and Kari Byron) was testing to see if bullets fired from a gun could make a playground merry-go-round spin.

They kept ratcheting up the caliber of weapon with the highest only moving the ride eight inches.  Kari turned to the fellas and said, "Eight inches isn't very impressive."

Immediately a joke came to mind, but I couldn't make it with my ten year-old right there.  So, I had myself a good old fashioned laughing jag.

Who knew Kari was such a size queen?

 
Movie Recommendation: My Kid Could Paint That (2007)
Passion Films/A&E IndieFilms
 
An intriguing documentary (please say documentary and not "doc", ok?) about a four year-old painting phenom.  Or is she?  Did she really do those paintings?  Did her father help her?  Did he do them?  With abstract art it's sometimes difficult not to question how it is art.  It helps to have a good BS story to help explain why it is art.

Now if someone could explain Rothko to me.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely' by Husker Du & 'Cruiser's Creek' by The Fall
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Would Die 4 U' by Prince & 'The Analog Kid' by Rush
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment