9.29.2013

dimland radio 9-28-13 show notes


A Follow-Up On Last Week's Show

The service for my mother-in-law was held on Saturday September 21st.  Quite a few people came to give their last respects and by the end of the service there wasn't a dry eye in the house.  The service was a little more religious than I had expected, but Mom was a believer and the memorial was for her, not me.
 
My oldest brother-in-law said a few words, the deacon who conducted the service read the tribute my wife wrote and he read the poem my son wrote.  Everyone was impressed with his poem.  Here's what he wrote... 
 
Do you want another blanket, Grandma?
You've been so kind, Grandma.
It's time for me to be kind to you.
You're so cold, Grandma.
Would you like another blanket?
Are you alright, Grandma?
Please say yes, please?
I wish you could hug me, one more time.
I wish you could laugh, one more time.
I wish you could walk in with a platter of food - the last one.
Goodbye Grandma, please say goodbye.
 
I also mentioned on the show of 9-21-13 that I would post a link to that Slinky drop phenomenon.  I forgot to do that last week, so here is the link.

Alternative Medicine V Medicine

I talked a bit about alternative medicine and prayer and such.  Medicine, which is science based, can seem cold and it doesn't have all the answers or very comforting answers.  Alt med tends to be the opposite.  That's, at least, part of the reason people get taken in by it.
 
Just remember the old adage: Alternative medicine that works is simply called medicine.

Dimland Radio Science Hero:  Jimmy Kimmel & His Writers

In early September, a video of a young woman having a twerking fail in which her legs caught fire had gone viral.  The news media reported on the video and it had received more than 10 million views when Jimmy Kimmel revealed the story behind the video.  Brilliant!

So, for showing how the 24 hour news cycle has helped heighten the news media's gullibility in order to fill that 24 hours, Jimmy Kimmel and his writing staff are Dimland Radio Science Heroes.  Congratulations!

Check out Jimmy's reveal video here.

Movie Recommendation: Argo (2012)
Warner Bros.
 
Sure, you've probably seen this Best Picture Oscar-Winning film, but I still wanted to recommend it.  Ben Affleck does a great job of both acting in and directing this true-life thriller.  And he's never been more handsome.  The longer hair and the beard really work on him.  Just sayin'.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: '(Modern Industry)' by Fishbone & 'Rattlesnake' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Sinking Feeling' by The The & 'Too Much Love' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment