2.09.2014

dimland radio 2-8-14 show notes

An Announcement

Nothing so dramatic, but Loud City will be shutting down. Z Talk Radio had worked with Loud City to distribute our shows. Our shows will go on (goon?), but our ability to play music shows will be going away. We can still play independent artists who aren't signed to a major label.
 
I don't what to do the work to support independent artists. Well, it may not be that much wok, but I will not be doing music shows anymore after this month. Next week I will be doing a three hour music show, so get some sleep so you can stay up and boogie. Or just listen.

The Human Species Isn't All That Bad

I hadn't been aware of this phenomenon until fairly recently and I was very impressed and encouraged when I did find out about it. It's the reviews of unusual or very mundane products offered on Amazon.com. I don't know how long this has been going on, but people have been writing very funny, very clever reviews and Amazon has been leaving them up.

I featured three such products.  Please read the reviews for:

Tuscan Whole Milk, 1 Gallon, 128 fl. oz
Hutzler 571 Banana Slicer

Science Vs Not Science

The highly anticipated "debate" between Bill Nye The Science Guy and Ken Ham The Not Science Guy over evolution/creation took place last Tuesday. I have not yet watched the debate, but my hubris was enough that I talked about it anyway. Actually, I talked more about the reaction to the debate, both from before and after it.

Many science-minded skeptics and scientists thought it was a bad idea for Bill to do it, but there are others who think that this sort of confrontation should be done. Ken Ham may never change his mind, but someone else listening in just might.

I have lots of links on this one:
 
Rebecca Watson's don't do it take.
Hemant Mehta's advice to Bill Nye.
Steve Shive's post debate review.

Here is the debate. (You'll need fast forward 13 and a half minutes.)

Phil Plait's blog review of the debate.
Daniel Loxton's blog on Carl Sagan's take on such debates.

I think that's enough links on this topic.

22 Messages
 
Buzzfeed.com featured 22 messages from creationists to people who believe in evolution (believe is the wrong word, accept is better). I gave my responses, but here are Phil Plait's. His are better.

And, to balance things out, Buzzfeed.com also feature 22 messages from evolution believers to creationists. I responded to those as well. So far, Phil hasn't.
 
Movie Recommendation: Capote (2005)
 
United Artists
 
"Ashton Kutcher survives." Those probably weren't the last words of Philip Seymour Hoffman, but nevertheless it is true, he does still live.

The great actor died this past week and I figured I should recommend one of his best performances out of a vast catalog of great performances. So, 'Capote' it is. Hoffman was awarded the Oscar for his portrayal of writer Truman Capote as he was researching the murder of a Kansas farming family for his non-fiction novel, 'In Cold Blood'.

It's a very good movie and a great performance. But it's hard to find a bad performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Monkeys' by Echo & the Bunnymen & 'Maddox Table' by 10,000 Maniacs
Second ad break bumpers: 'Age Of Consent' by New Order & 'Los Angeles' by X
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment