8.11.2014

dimland radio 8-9-14 show notes

I'm All Over The Internet
 
I may not have done a show since July 26th, but I have still been on the internet. Not just my usual visits to Facebook, either. Since my last show there have been ten Never Founds posted, one guest appearance on a podcast, and a guest posting on another blog. I've been busy.
 
The Never Found in the 80s series is something I do for the Stuck in the 80s blog. I hadn't had one on there in a while, but then there were ten in the last two weeks.
 
Here's the list:
Magazine
Luxuria
Flag of Convenience
Pete Shelley
Buzzcocks
The Chameleons
Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
The Stranglers
Breaking Circus
The Smiths
 
I was also a member of a round table discussion on the latest version of 'Godzilla' on the podcast Assault of the Two-Headed Space Mules. It was recorded weeks ago, when it was more timely, but the host, Douglas Arthur, had other pressing matters that kept him from editing and posting until just recently.
 
Finally, I wrote a piece for the Two Different Girls blog. I wrote about a road trip with a couple of friends. We headed east and spent some time in New York City. We discovered an excellent hiding spot for our goods.

Happy Birthday, James Randi
 
August 7th was the Amazing Randi's 86th birthday. He's still going strong and I hope he continues to do so, because I'd like to meet him at TAM. However, it might be a while before I'm able to afford a trip to The Amazing Meeting.

Brian Dunning Was Sentenced To Federal Prison
 
Host of the excellent weekly podcast Skeptoid, Brian Dunning, having pled guilty to wire fraud some months ago and was sentenced to 15 months in Federal prison this past week. (Here is his announcement.) There is a faction of the skeptic/atheist community that is acting gleefully at this news. Just because, in my opinion, they decided Mr. Dunning is a jerk.
 
I was asked for my thoughts on this on Facebook. This was my response...
 
"[H]e broke the law, he pled guilty, and he'll serve time. Has he gotten off easy? I don't know. I intend to continue listening and linking to Skeptoid, because, in my opinion, it is still an excellent source of skeptically examined phenomena. I do my best to separate the artist from the art. After all, I still listen to the SGU (Skeptic's Guide to the Universe). It's still an excellent podcast and everyone on it is very good, whether or not I agree with their conduct away from the show." 
 
I won't say which rogue I'm referring to, but I don't think it's not hard to guess for those who have been following the skeptic/atheist fracturing.

Could Bigfoot Be A Bear?
 
It seems very possible that, at least, some of the bigfoot sitings that have been claimed over the years could have been bears walking on their hide legs. Bears do that. And when they do they look strikingly and eerily similar to humans. Doubtful News recently posted a video of a bear walking bipedally. Kinda creepy. 
 
Pedantic Moment: How Much Groceries Could 20 Bucks Buy In 1998?
 
This is what bullshit looks like.
 
A lot of nonsense gets posted on Facebook, I'm sure you knew that. Well, here's another one. The above meme is implying that 20 dollars was enough to purchase that full cart of groceries in 1998, while, in 2013, that same 20 dollars bought only three or four items. Quite simply, this is bullshit. I was buying groceries in 1998 and no way would that small amount of money buy all those items.
 
There's a bottle of champagne or wine in that cart! That alone could be 20 bucks! Also, there are well over 20 items in that cart, which would mean the average cost of each of those items would be less than a dollar. 1898, maybe. 1998, no way!
 
I also believe the statement about us all needing to stop pretending people can live on minimum wage is a straw man. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is claiming that minimum wage is a livable wage.
 
Sir Paul Plays Target Field
 
Finally, I told of our evening of Saturday August 2nd. Amy, Hayden, and I went to see Sir Paul McCartney in concert. This was a birthday present for Hayden who turned 11 years-old the day before. (Astrologers put your charts away.)
 
The show was great. Paul was amazing. His voice may not have quite the range it used to have, but it was still good and his energy was terrific. He played for 2 and 3/4 hours! That 72 year-old really knows how to please (and work) his audience. Yes, it was a night of nostalgia, but what's wrong with that?
 
I also talked about my need to learn patience, our seating neighbors, my breaking out my loud whistle, and how 'Hey, Jude' brought a tear to my eye.
 
Worth every penny.
 
Here's the setlist.
 
Movie Recommendation: None
 
Sorry, I didn't have time to recommend a movie. You're on your own this week.
    
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Another Day' by Paul McCartney & 'Listen to What the Man Said' by Wings
Second ad break bumpers: 'Live And Let Die' by Wings & 'Hey Jude' by The Beatles
 
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment