9.01.2014

dimland radio 8-30-14 show notes

Best Laid Plans
 
I started this (my 200th!) show with a little tale, a follow-up, if you will, of the aftermath of my ice bucket challenge. I went to great lengths to make it clear that I wasn't going to challenge anyone. I had no desire to force someone to either dump a bucket on themselves or give money to ALS. I thought I made that clear.
 
But, an aunt of mine, who is a Facebook friend, thought that because I tagged her in the post showing my ice bucket completion that I was challenging her. Oh, well. I tried.
 
Still, I was awfully jazzed when Dr. Rachie, a prominent skeptic (especially in Australia), had liked my bucket post and commented on it!
 
As of this writing, my ice bucket video has had 95 views on YouTube.
 
A Real Radio Professional: Freddie Coleman
 
When it comes to radio (terrestrial or internet) I am a rake amateur, but ESPN Radio's Freddie Coleman is a true professional. I listen to his show, at least part of it, a few times a week and I never hear an "um," "uh," or "you know." I don't think you can get through a minute of my show without one of those. I don't know how he does it.

Pedantic Moment: Only American Teams Have Won The World Series?
 
British comedian, Eddie Izzard, has a routine in which he jokes about America's streak of winning the World Series. He's impressed that no other country has won has ever won this "world" event. 
 
Um, Eddie? Look up who won the World Series in 1992 and 1993.

Never Found In The 80s: King Crimson Connections Week
 
I did another week long series focusing on musical artists that all have a certain connection. This time that connection was King Crimson. I recruited fellow 80s Nation member, Douglas Arthur (host of the Assault of the 2-Headed Space Mules podcast) to help me with this series. He's much more knowledgeable about King Crimson than I.
 
For King Crimson connections week, we profiled the following artists:
 
 
I'm A Hateful, Flag Waving What Now?
 
It is the internet and when you voice an opinion, you're bound to get insulted. Not every time, but it does happen.
 
It happen to me when I commented on a Facebook friend posting of a video of an alleged moment of police brutality.
 
I commented: "This is the problem with these amateur videos. Not only is it in the hateful portrait format, the person taking the video doesn't keep the camera on the action, so we don't see the start of the confrontation."
 
That's all I wrote.
 
Another commenter apparently saw through my statement to what I was really saying. He wrote, "Hateful, flag waving, ignorant, human skid marks like Jim Fitzsimons reveal their true nature every time. Probably punches his wife and beats his dog. Probably runs in the family."
 
Is this guy spying on me?
 
Movie Recommendation: Some Kind Of Monster (2004)
 
Paramount Pictures
 
This documentary about the metal band, Metallica, suffers from three things: 1) Way too long at two hours and twenty minutes. 2) Way too much talking about their feelings. (They were going through group therapy at the time.) 3) Way too much Metallica music.
 
Other than those things, I did find the film interesting. If you are a Metallica fan, you might find this much more enjoyable than I did.
 
Not much of a recommendation, is it?
  
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Message Of Love' by Pretenders & 'My Kingdom' by Echo & the Bunnymen
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Model' by Kraftwerk & 'My Life' by Man-Sized Action
 
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment