9.29.2014

dimland radio 9-27-14 show notes

Why No Dimland Radio For Two Weeks
 
It's been two weeks since I'd done a show. Breaks can be nice, but when you return you see how much you need to do to catch up.

I had taken the last two weeks off, because one Saturday night I had to work and the other I went to see The Replacements.
 
The Replacements Come Home
 
For the first time in 23 years, The Replacements played a concert in the Twin Cities. They played at Midway Stadium in St. Paul. As stadiums go, Midway is quite humble, but 13,000 fans filled the general admission show very nicely.
 
I hadn't planned on going, but my older brother sprung for tickets, so how could I refuse. I wrote a review of the concert for the Stuck in the 80s blog. You can read it here.

Big Pharma Creates Customers, You Say?
 
Time/Warner (a big corporation) would like to thank these "occupiers" for buying their masks.
 
An image of three "occupiers" holding a banner with the words (looking photoshopped, see above), "The pharmaceutical industry does not create cures, they create customers" appeared on my Facebook newsfeed. I commented using the Adam Carolla argument that Big Pharma has reduced HIV/AIDS from a death sentence to a treatable chronic condition. No, not a cure, but also not evil as the meme seems to be suggesting.
 
My comment did get a response from the original poster and I answered his claims of expense and availability in Africa. My responses were met by a couple "yeah yeahs" and a "Kk."

I think I may have won the point. 

Adrian Peterson Doesn't Spare The Rod
 
NFL elite, future hall of famer, running back of the MN Vikings, Adrian Peterson is also a part-time father to as many as seven kids. He also subscribes to the "spare the rod, spoil the child" philosophy of child discipline. Recently, we all saw the images of the aftermath of a beating AP meted out to his four year-old son using a switch (a thin branch with its leaves removed). The pictures were horrible and the MN Vikings suspended AP for one game.
 
But then New England kicked the Vikes' ass, so AP was reinstated. However, the public outcry, comments by the Minnesota governor, and threatened loss of sponsors brought the Vikings organization back to its senses.
 
I had serious doubts that I would continue to watch the Vikings if Peterson was still playing.

Blowhard Sean Hannity Was Beat As A Child

In the wake of the Peterson allegations coming to light, Fox News blowhard Sean Hannity had a panel discussion on whether parents who spank should be arrested. Hannity related how his father beat him with a belt and had punched him in the face. Hannity felt he deserved it.
 
However, Hannity does not beat his kids. He takes their iPhones away. Sean was able to find an alternative to hitting. I wonder why, if it was ok for Sean's dad to hit him, would Sean find a less violent way to discipline his kids. Perhaps, Sean Hannity learned what our society (most of it anyway) has learned over the years: beating your kids isn't an acceptable way to punish.
 
It's Not True: Miss Three Boobs And Vagina Cookies For 2nd Graders
 
I had two not trues for this show. The first was that Jasmine Tridevil did not have a third breast implanted a la Total Recall, so that she could get on reality TV and be unattractive to men, but still be pretty. The procedure, if done, would take a long time and be quite painful and the results would not appear as the do in her posted image.
 
The vagina cookies story is more plausible, but I couldn't find any news site covering this story. Which would be a juicy story if true. Come on! A mom bringing cookies with vaginas made of frosting for a 2nd grade class treat? Fox News wouldn't cover that?

Snopes.com has entries for both of these stories (here and here). It does give the vagina cookies an undetermined status, but here at Dimland Radio we call it bullshit.
 
Movie Recommendation: None
 
There was too much to talk about for me to get to a movie recommendation. Tune in next week. Until then you are on your own.
  
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Skyway'  & 'Bastards Of Young' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'Takin' A Ride' & 'Can't Hardly Wait' by The Replacements
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment