10.05.2014

dimland radio 10-4-14 show notes

Did You Know?
 
Did you know that at the bottom of each show notes entry is a listing of the songs I played on the show? Whenever possible I link to the videos of those songs so you can check them out. Last week I linked to concert footage from the recent Replacements concert. So, check it out!
 
Old Friends And Memories
 
I then talked about a couple old friends from way back in my working at Wendy's. They were boyfriend and girlfriend and were coworkers at the Wendy's. When they got married, I was asked to be in their wedding party.
 
That lead me to talk about dancing. I used to dance back in those days at First Avenue, but the music I danced to was usually of a faster tempo and way cooler than the popular music of the day. Well, at the reception, a danceable song was played and I cut the rug.
 
So, 28 years later the girlfriend/wife of that couple tracked me down through Facebook. I was very excited to hear from her.

You're A Naughty One, Saucy Jack
 
The identity of Jack the Ripper has finally been determined. Well, not really. It's just that yet another person has written a book claiming to have discovered, through the science of DNA, just who the Ripper was.
 
Russell Edwards is the latest in a long line of writers believing he has cracked the case. But, there is lots of room for doubt. He may have the right guy, but his evidence has too many problems to be definitive.
 
You can read more here and here.

Walter O'Brien Isn't Human, Allegedly

On a recent Adam Carolla Podcast, Adam's guests were Nick Santora and Walter O'Brien. They were on to promote the new CBS series Scorpion. The series follows a group of super-geniuses as they help the American government battle terrorists. The show is based on O'Brien who is himself a super-genius.
 
A few claims were made on the show that set off my BS detector. O'Brien kept referring to the left brain/right brain thing, which really isn't a thing. (See here and here.) And Santora added a couple eyebrow raising statements.
 
One was how super-geniuses have 20% higher rates of unemployment, substance abuse, and suicide. Really? 20% for each of those? Methinks Santora is pulling numbers out of his butt.
 
The other was the howler that, because O'Brien possesses a 197 IQ and his brain is 20% (yes, again 20%) denser and heavier, has is "literally a different species." Literally? Really? O'Brien is incapable of reproducing with other humans?
 
I think Santora is just a tad bit guilty of over-hyping his new series. There are others who have their doubts about the claims of Mr. O'Brien.
 
Movie Recommendation: From Hell (2001)
 
20th Century Fox
 
I have recommended this grim, stylish film about Jack the Ripper. I figured since I was talking about Jack the Ripper on this show that I should recommend it again. It may be bleak, but I find it well done and fascinating.
  
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'On The Phone' by Man Sized Action  & 'Outside The Trains Don't Run On Time' by Gang of Four
Second ad break bumpers: 'OK This Is The Pops' By Tones On Tail & 'One Step Ahead' by Split Enz
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment