10.27.2014

dimland radio 10-25-14 show notes

My Yearly Complaint

The show had a lot to do with music this week.
 
It's October and it's World Series time. It's also the time of year when I gripe about the shoe-horned into the seventh inning stretch new "tradition" of having some military person or cop or fire fighter sing 'God Bless America'. This forced on us tradition is one of the annoying results of 9/11 and the fact that it happened in New York City. And I blame the terrorists and the Hated Yankees.
 
I know traditions all start at some point in some manner, but there is already a perfectly good tradition in the seventh inning stretch. It's called 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame'. How 'bout we just stick with that one?
 
Selling Out Or Not Selling Out

After I finished griping about 'God Bless America' invading my favorite game, I went on to talk about how serious pop and rock artists used to resist their material being used to sell products. But that was the old days. Neil Young even wrote a song to voice his displeasure of the "selling out" of his contemporaries and newer artists.
 
I noted that "selling out" today is looked on very differently. Allowing their material to be used to sell trucks or insurance or whatever is a good option for artists to make money in this time of digital downloads.
 
Album sales are down, because people can just download the songs they want (often times downloading illegally) and the artist gets less money. So, ticket prices going way up and artists allowing their songs to be used in commercials is, in part, how many musical artists are able to earn a living.
 
I've heard it explained by a musician that musical artists can't "sell out." They want their music to reach an audience and using commercials is a way to build an audience.
 
How Is Kid Rock Still A Thing?

I then railed against crappy songs being used to sell Chevy trucks. I hated Bob Seger's 'Like A Rock' song. A song that was used by Chevy for what felt like a hundred years.
 
Now, Chevy is using the even crappier song 'Born Free'. At first, I didn't know who was responsible for my new most hated song, but, through the magic of my Shazam app, I learned it was Kid Rock.
 
I then wondered how a party time rapper with a little person sidekick had become outlaw country. How is Kid Rock still a thing?
 
2NE1 And Yeah! Woo!

However, I don't hated all crappy music. There is a crappy song being used to sell laptop computers by a Japanese girl group called 2NE1. It's a very electronic sounding song called 'I Am The Best'. Yes, the song is pretty lousy, but I kinda like it.
 
I like the amount of it I hear in the commercial that is. After I found the song on the YouTube and I discovered that the song uses a sample that I came to hate long ago, I like the song a bit less. It is the grossly over-used (Wikipedia lists nearly 100 songs that have used it) "Yeah! Woo!" sample. I started hearing it in the 80s and I never liked it.
 
The sample goes back to the Lyn Collins (I may have said Liz Collins on the show) song 'Think (About It)' released in 1972. The sample even has its own entry on Wikipedia.
 
No Platinum For You

I mentioned that we seem to have gone back to pre-1968 in the music industry. It was 1968 when album sales overtook singles sales in pop and rock music. Well, it seems as though there will be no artist whose album will have a million sales this year. People have gone back to just buying the songs they want.

 
New Who Tune
 
Imagine my interest when I saw that there is a new song available by The Who. It's called 'Be Lucky' and I think it's pretty good. I'm very impressed by how good Roger Daltry's vocals are. He sounds 20 years younger.

I also mentioned that I know what Amy and I will be doing for our anniversary next year. The Who will touring North America to promote yet another best of collection CD 'The Who Hits 50'. The song 'Be Lucky' is included on that CD. Amy and I will be going to their show at Target Center next October.
 
Never Found In The 80s: Red Guitars
 
Another installment of my too infrequent Never Found guest blog column on the Stuck in the 80s blog returned recently. I had written about a short-lived, very Leftist band from the UK called Red Guitars.
 
I also talked about an incident from my tortured art student days. A tale of walking home from a party from which I left early felling alienated and then encountering someone playing Red Guitars on their car stereo. Who else in St. Paul would be listening to Red Guitars?!
 
It's Not True: Woman Buried Alive
 
I'm sure there have been times when women have been buried alive, but not this time. There's a story heading around the internets about a woman having been killed and her body switched out of the coffee of some young man who had recently died. Well, she wasn't quite dead and the family of mourners of the person who was supposed to have been buried in that grave, heard the woman's screams. Through six feet of dirt. Really?
 
No, it's not true. Snopes.com sniffed this one out.
 
Movie Recommendation: Alien (1979)
 
20th Century Fox

Ridley Scott's excellent sci-fi monster film. It stars Sigourney Weaver, in a strong female role. along with a cast of outstanding actors. Scott applies the "less is more" philosophy masterfully. And one can never forget the alien "birth" scene.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Peek-A-Boo' by Siouxsie & the Banshees & 'Private Eye' by Man Sized Action
Second ad break bumpers: 'Public Highway' by Luxuria & 'Plenty' by The Woodentops
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment