11.03.2014

dimland radio 11-1-14 show notes

My Halloween Show...Sort Of

I didn't really do anything very special for this Halloween show, but I did do a very extended movie recommendation segment. See below.
 
Cleaning Out The Old House

We, but my wife mainly, have been dealing with my father-in-law's house. We have it sold and we have to get everything up. We filled one dumpster already and have another one on the way. We filled our minivan with lots of old electronics to be recycled.

I told the tale of getting all those electronic odds and ends recycled. I'm very thankful to one Best Buy employee who did me a solid.
 
The Fall Classic

The World Series have come to an end and the San Fransisco Giants are once again world champs. I talked about that game seven pitching performance of Madison Bumgarner and how it was even more impressive when compared to the amount of postseason games played. In the old days, pitchers didn't have as many playoff rounds to get through. For decades it was win the pennant and then play the World Series. It hasn't been that way for a while now.

Hurray For Rikk Wilde

A very human moment took place during the the award presentation after the World Series. A fellow named Rikk Wilde wasn't the most prepared person when he stepped up to present Bumgarner with the keys for a brand new Chevy Colorado truck, but he was the most memorable and sympathetic.
 
#technologyandstuff
 
Catcalling In NYC

I touched on the viral video of a young woman walking the streets of NYC that depicts how men in New York like to catcall and harass women as they walk by. I talked about the power of editing and that it is probably possible to make another two minute long video out of the 10 hours of filming that would show her being left alone. The video has sparked a discussion and I find it interesting.
 
More videos have been made and more opinions have come out. There's a parody video showing a man's walk through NYC and a serious video showing another man's walk. I may have to revisit this topic.
 
There's also this article on research methodology.

John's Pick-Up Technique
 
Years ago, in my bachelor days, my friend John and I would hang out a various clubs around the Twin Cities. The catcalling video and the fact that John and I are not catcallers brought to mind the time John asked a young woman if he could buy her a drink.
 
This was totally shocking to me at the time. This was something John just doesn't do, but he did it that time. But, he did it in his own wry way.
 
The Sad Story Of Boyd Bushman
 
Well, I hope Bushman's life story isn't sad, but his public statement and evidence presentation just prior to his death was pretty damn sad. Bushman called himself a scientist, which he meant have been, I don't know if engineers are considered scientists, but he for a scientist he sure didn't know what makes for good evidence.
 
A video promoted by Art Bell shows Bushman displaying and talking about his photographic evidence. The quality of that evidence is laughable. Or would be if the whole thing weren't so sad and pathetic.

There's more here and here.

Movie Recommendation: My Baskins-Robbins Approach

During the month of October, I changed my profile picture on my Facebook page to a different horror film each day. I also wrote a brief description of each film. So, I went through that list at the end of the show. I hope these are all available. Here is the list:
 
The Wolf Man (1941)
Them! (1954)
The Mummy (1959)
Black Friday (1940)
The Exorcist (1973)
House of Wax (1953)
The Raven (1935)
The Blob (1958)
Nosferatu (1922)
Alien (1979)
White Zombie (1932)
The Thing (1982)
The Mummy (1932)
Frankenstein (1931)
Dracula (1931)
Halloween (1978)

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Quite Unusual' by Front 242 & 'Qu'est-Ce Que C'est Que Ca' by Pete Shelley
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Quiet One' by The Who & 'The Queen & The Soldier' by Susanne Vega
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment