11.09.2014

dimland radio 11-8-14 show notes

Gonna Be A Busy Week

We've been dealing with my in-laws' house a lot lately. Well, really Amy's been doing most of the work. So much stuff to get rid of or store. Will we get it done in time for the closing?

We'll see.
 
Cats Are A Nocturnal Pain In The Neck

Our cat got me a bit upset the other night. I was trying to get some sleep and she wanted attention. I nearly threw her out, but, realizing I really couldn't do that, I gave her some attention. She then allowed me to get some sleep.
 
Hollywood Was Worse Than I Imagined

I ran across an old Western starring Randolph Scott the other morning. It's called 'Western Union' and it was released in 1941. The scene I watched featured several Indians approached a crew of nervous cowboys protecting a Western Union stagecoach. Scott told his men to stay calm and hold their fire.
 
I started an inner dialogue playing the scene out with my expectation that the Native Americans wouldn't be depicted unstereotypically. But, as bad as I thought it would be, it was worse.
 
Political Kindergarten

So, the mid-term elections are over and the sky is falling. This is the worst thing to ever happen. The world is coming to an end. That is if you lean Democrat. The Republicans are pleased.
 
I, once again, stated that things aren't as black and white as people tend to think. And I wondered when disagreeing came to mean hating. There is a graphic being shared on the Facebook that is a straw man and an ad hominem argument. The statement is, "Republicans hate Obama more than they love America." Sure, they do, because they don't support every one of the president's policies.
 
Really? The opposing party opposes the president? Get that feather out and knock me over.
 
I also mentioned how happy I am to see the political ads having gone away. And I observed that the ads against Al Franken mentioned that Franken, a Democrat, voted 97% on the said of the President, another Democrat.
 
No shit!
 
More Of Me On The Internets

I've been a little busy on the internets lately. I appear on Assault of the Two Headed Space Mules hosted by Douglas Arthur. We talk about the unusual horror film 'The Lair of the White Worm'.

I have another Never Found in the 80s posted on the Stuck in the 80s blog. This time you can find Fishbone. I never saw the band play. I'm not sure why, just never did.
 
And, speaking of Stuck in the 80s, I just did a guest co-host appearance on their podcast. It was great fun and should be posted soon. I'll let you know.
 
Alan Alda And Dowsing
 
Alan Alda hosted the PBS science series American Scientific Frontiers. One show had a segment focusing on the pseudoscience practice of dowsing. They do a good job showing through the scientific method that dowsing doesn't work. Spoiler alert!
 
Movie Recommendation: Rock For Kampuchea (1979)
 
Almi Cinema 5

This is a concert film. The YouTube link states it's a different cut from the original film, but it's still a nice window on the musical time period. It features The Clash, The Specials, The Pretenders, Queen, Wings, and The Who. Check out the link!
 
Pete Townshend and Paul McCartney. Pete isn't wearing the silver outfit as everyone else is and he's quite drunk.
 

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush & 'Replica' by Man Sized Action
Second ad break bumpers: 'Rough Boys' by Pete Townshend & 'Rocket from a Bottle' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment