1.26.2015

dimland radio 1-24-15 show notes

Colonoscopy Talk

Most this show was dedicated to my resent colonoscopy. I turned 50 last November and the doctor said it was time for a look-see. So, in the interest of public service, I thought I'd promote this procedure and let my listeners know what happened to me. It weren't all that bad and I got a clean bill of health.
 
And, let's face it, who doesn't like a story that features some personal discomfort and lots and lots of bowel evacuating?.

Dave Barry's Experience
 
As a primer of what to expect, friend of the show, Chris Brown sent me a link to an article by American Humorist Dave Barry. In 2008, Barry wrote about his experience. He had put it off, because he didn't like the idea of the anal intrusion, but when his brother was diagnosed with colon cancer, the probing became less of a concern. Cancer will do that.

Here is his humorous take.

My Colonoscopy Has Its Own Theme Song

You'll have to listen to the show, because I don't want to give it away here. But it's pretty funny and I think you'll agree there aren't many songs that would be more fitting. Or do I mean inappropriate?
 
"Baby?" "Baby." "Baby?" "Baby, Baby." "Baby!"

Unfortunately, I can't find the clip, otherwise I could show you what I mean. You'll just have to take my word for it, or maybe you saw it, too. A TV spot for the film "American Sniper" featured a scene in which Mr. Sniper was on the phone with Mrs. Sniper. He was calling from Iraq and she was back in the States. It was an emotional scene in which he was telling her he was ready to come home.
 
Ok, fine, what's the big deal? Well, they must have called each other "baby" 93 times in that ad. I've never been one to call my wife "baby". And she doesn't call me that either.
 
"Baby" just seems too silly and infantilizing. We're Honey Bunnies, not babies!.
 
More Movie Talk

I recently watched the James Bond thriller 'Quantum of Solace'. The film was not well reviewed when it was released and it wasn't well reviewed by me, either.
 
The action sequences were so poorly filmed and edited it was nearly impossible to tell what was going on in them. There is one scene which you can watch here, in which Bond is fighting with a bad guy on some scaffolding. The scene is less than a minute and half and, yet, there are nearly 100 edits. Yes, I counted. At times, it is difficult to know which is Bond and which is the bad guy.
 
Judging from this effort director Marc Forster is not good at action. I see he has directed 'World War Z'. I haven't seen that one yet. This doesn't bode well.
 
Movie Recommendation: Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes (2014)
 
20th Century Fox
This week's recommendation, however, gets its action sequences done right. And they're filled with apes, but I never lose track of who is who. And we all know how all apes look alike, right? Is that racist?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this one and I think it is even better than the very good Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011). It takes place ten years after the "rise" and shows just how human the apes really are. Is that racist?
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'She Never Said' by The Church & 'River Euphrates' by Pixies
Second ad break bumpers: 'This Charming Man' by The Smiths & 'Baby Have Some Faith' by 54-40
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
 
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment