1.04.2015

dimland radio 1-3-15 show notes

Nature Is Still Attacking!

The wild turkeys are still hanging around the office at which I work. This time I got a picture!

And there they are!
Something That Bugs Me

I know, what doesn't bug me?
 
But what was bugging this time? A type of collar on men's dress shirts. There's actually two styles that just look wrong to me. They are the the cutaway and the English spread. They are too wide and really need a tie with a wide tie knot. If the dude doesn't wear a wide tie knot you'll be able to see the tie going around the neck. The collar is supposed to cover that.

I don't like it and it bugs me.
 
I prefer the forward point or the button down.
A local news reporter, Jonathan Choe, wears shirts with the cutaway or English spread collar. Below you'll see what I mean.
 
Jonathan Choe Fox 9 News
Choe with drunks. See the tie heading around his neck? A regular collar would cover that. Looks wrong, doesn't it?
Dimland Radio's Dumbass Of 2014: Greenpeace

I didn't get into their mission, but Greenpeace did do something rather stupid last December. They sent activists to the Nazca desert in Peru to send a message to the world. The message was, "Time for change! The future is renewable." How I read it was, "We arrogant assholes don't give a shit if we might destroy ancient art. We have a message to send and the ends justify the means."

What dumbasses. Greenpeace wins the award.

9/11 Is Still A Conspiracy
 
I spoke briefly about a Facebook friend who was sharing a Loose Change video. Loose Change is a group of long discredited conspiracy theorists who engaged in anomaly hunting through the events of September 11, 2001.
 
Conspiracy theorists think of themselves as skeptics, but they aren't. They may be skeptical of bigfoot, ghosts, or UFOs. But when it comes to their conspiracy theory, their skepticism fails them.
 
I figured they become Facebook friends of mine, because I check to see if they have mutual skeptic friends. If they do, I accept their friend request.
 
This same thing happens with the anti-GMO/Monsanto crowd.

Rebecca Watson Leaves SGU
 
Longtime member of the rogues gallery of the Skeptic's Guide to the Universe (SGU) podcast, Rebecca Watson, has left the show after nine years.
 
Rebecca has been a polarizing figure in the skeptical movement, but I have always liked her on the SGU. I've agreed with some of her actions and statements away from the podcast, but I've also found some of her actions very disturbing.
 
I won't go into everything here. I'm an outsider and I don't know everything about what went on. I did speculate on whether or not those who were always very supportive of Rebecca might know take the gloves off when it comes to the treatment of the SGU and the fellows on the show. I guess time will tell.
 
I did wonder if there was any conflict between Rebecca and the other members of the SGU when it cam to The Amazing Meeting! (TAM). A couple few years ago, Rebecca had a falling out with the James Randi Educational Foundation and its then president DJ Grothe. She then refused to attend TAM, while the rest of the SGU continued to go and talk about how great the conferences have been. Seems as though there would be some tension.
 
The Paranormal Power I Would Like To Have
 
I called it astral projection, but I was told that's not what I described. Perhaps remote viewing is more accurate. The power would be the ability to observe any moment in history, anywhere it has happened. I went into the rules of this power, which I won't do here. I might, however, write an expanded blog on it.
 
I speculated on being able to take one person with me and being able to show them their pet beliefs of the past just weren't true. But maybe it would turn out they were true.
 
Movie Recommendation: None This Week
 
I ran out of time, so you are on your own. I did mention 'Life Of Pi' might be worth a watch.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Angels Of Deception' by The The & 'America Is Waiting' by David Byrne & Brian Eno
Second ad break bumpers: 'Armagh' by Au Pairs & 'Above It Now' by Figures
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
 
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment