12.29.2014

dimland radio 12-27-14 show notes

Pedantic Moment Or Two

While listening to a recent podcasting of Doug Loves Movies, I had a pedantic moment that, had I been there, would have sorely tested my patience. Doug and two of his guests (Rev and Steve the producer) from a Seattle morning radio show played a game called "Beat the Producer". The audience was tasked to keep time. Doug and then Steve had 60 seconds to answer ten movie trivia questions. The audience did not follow instructions, but no one noticed. Well, I did.

Also, Rev who provided the questions didn't get an aspect of one question quite right.

Nature Is Attacking!

There has been a group (rafter, thanks to listener Dave) of wild turkeys hanging around where I work lately. They get in the way of traffic and they chase after the mail truck when it approaches. Dumb birds.

I had considered chasing them off, but they are pretty big and I ain't no dumb bird. 

Viral Infection And A Broken Tooth

I was pretty darned sick this past week, but I toughed it out. I had my annual physical and the doctor figured I had a viral infection that would have to run its course. It appears to have run it.

Also, this past Monday, when chewing up some chips, I had a tooth break. It was a filling that gave loose. I have so many fillings that now the teeth are beginning to break apart. Crowns would be the better fix, but my insurance doesn't cover them, so the dentists patch 'em up the best they can.

Artwork Completed
 
'Vlad the Impaler' 2014: Ink, watercolor and dyes by me!
Also this past week saw me complete two art projects. One of which I had been working on for over a year. Well over.

One was a cartoon illustration of Vlad the Impaler (above). I had done this one as a thank you gift for my older brother, who took me to see The Replacement this past September. He was very happy with it.

The one that took all that time was a portrait of my wife. It took so long because I just kept setting it aside and didn't work on it for weeks. But I finally got to it. I don't have it scanned, so I can't post it here. I'll see what I can do to remedy that soon.

Internet Wrongness

A Facebook friend posted a something just a little too good to be true this past week. This is a fellow who I have had contact with through FB on a few occasions, so we have a bit of familiarity with each other.

His post was a letter allegedly written by an 86 year old woman who had the check she wrote to her plumber bounce. She stated that check must have been processed three nanoseconds before her pension was automatically deposited, causing an overdraft with a service fee of $30.

"Nanoseconds?" And 86 year old woman used the term "nanoseconds?" Hmmm.

She also mentioned the overdraft screwed up her mortgage and other loan payments. Mortgage? And loans? How many 86 year olds have those?

It turns out the letter wasn't written to a bank. And it wasn't written by this little old lady. It was a column in the Courier Mail of Brisbane, Australia written by Peter Wear. He wrote it way back in January 1999.

This article has been floating around the internets ever since. With the help of Snopes.com, I pointed that out in the thread. My FB friend said that everyone know the site he pulled it from is just for laughs and he deleted my comments. Well, it's his post, so it's his prerogative to delete any post he likes.

As a skeptic, I take it as part of my job to point out internet wrongness when I find it.

I also promised that I would link to a listing of "news" websites that should be avoided when looking for truthful news. I found two. One list from Doubtful News and another useful list from About.com.

Movie Recommendation: Silent Running (1972)
 
Universal Pictures
Not a great movie, but an interesting look at the ecology movement of the early 70s through science fiction. Bruce Dern plays the gardener of several forests that have been launched into space, because the people of earth had somehow learned to do without them. (Where'd the oxygen come from?) 

The decision had been made that after eight years of funding the project that is was time to end it and bring the boys and the robot drones back home. Dern and his three other spacecraft mates were odered to destroy the forests and prepare to return to earth.

Well, that's not exactly how it went.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'You'll Have To Go Sideways' by The Soft Boys & 'Yea' by Man Sized Action
Second ad break bumpers: 'YOYOY' by Cheap Trick & 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch' by Thurl Ravenscroft
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
 
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment