12.21.2014

dimland radio 12-20-14 show notes

My Skeptical Core Rocked?

I reminded my listeners of the story I told of Michael Shermer's skeptical core rocking back on my November 22nd show. Recently, I had one as well. It involved the 70s mother of all paranormal TV shows: 'In Search Of...'
 
But first...

Women's Underwear Part One

While watching an episode of 'In Search Of...' on haunted castles that featured a re-enactment of a ghost encounter in 1880 or 1890. There were two sisters driven crazy by the experience. One was preparing for bed dressed in a nightgown that was modest as one might expect in Victorian England. However, if your eye is as used to checking out certain areas of women's bodies as mine is (I know - patriarchy), you would notice she was wearing rather modern (modern for the 1970s) panties. 
 
Anyway, My Skeptical Core Rocking 
 
So, Amy and I were watching our DVD collection of 'In Search Of...' and the episode on the Oak Island Money Pit Mystery. I remembered the episode, but my wife hadn't seen it before, so the Money Pit was new to her. After that episode, I played for her the Skeptoid Brain Dunning had done examining the mystery. There is a far more likely explanation - a natural explanation.
 
The Braveheart Battle Speech Cliche 
 
It seems that since Mel Gibson made 'Braveheart' that the pre-battle speech used in his film has become cliche. At least, that's how it seems to me. I suggested that Hollywood just cut some production costs and drop in that scene from 'Braveheart' into any movie with that cliche.
 
But, I also mentioned two pre-battle speeches in two great films that, for me, surpass that stirring 'Braveheart' original speech. They are: 1) Patton's address to his troops at the beginning of 1970's brilliant biopic 'Patton'. A speech performed perfectly by George C Scott in his best known role, and 2) from 'Saving Private Ryan' it's the talk Tom Hanks as Capt. Miller gives his men as they approach Omaha Beach in the invasion of Normandy. He and his Sargent simply remind the men of their training with Hanks ended his understated talk with, "I'll see you on the beach."

Women's Underwear Part Two

As part of a rant about how pointless I think the Grammys are. I mean XTC has never been nominated. And they are awesome. The Grammys just award those artists who are popular and have sold a lot of records, but the best of them, right?
 
That's what I thought. Or I tried to think. But I just learned Charli XCX has been nominated for two Grammys. Perhaps she's great. I'd never heard of her until she appeared as a musical guest on David Letterman's show.
 
Well, I don't know about her singing talents.
 
I did, however, notice how she was dressed. She was wearing underwear and looked pretty good. I also noticed that her panties were loose fitting and revealed, not everything, but quite a lot. Ahem.
 
Last Minute Thoughts  
 
After the show, I had ended I realized I still had a minute or two left, so I postulated that this whole Sony email hack, not releasing 'The Interview', 'Team America' being pulling from being a suitable replacement, etc. are all part of an elaborate conspiracy to keep what looks like an awful movie from being released.
 
Hang on. Conspiracy? What show is this?

Movie Recommendation: None This Week

I didn't think of a movie for this week, but watching 'Patton', which I've recommended before, would be a good choice.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Limelight' by Rush & 'Earn Enough For Us' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Senses Working Overtime' & 'Ballet For A Rainy Day' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
 
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment