12.15.2014

dimland radio 12-13-14 show notes

Reality Shows

We don't have cable, so we miss out on a lot of those flip my house or renovate my house shows, but we were visiting my father-in-law and he has cable. So, we caught an episode of some house buying/fixer up show (Property Brothers) that features twin brothers.One brother helps land the deal on a good house, the other is a contractor who fixes it up.

Well, I don't care for "reality" shows, because they just ain't real. The couple whose new house is being renovated, (which the show refers to as reno, by the way) keep "acting" impatient and a bit demanding. These people had been living in the basement of the guy's parents' house. Relax!

Of course, the producers of the show push the couple to act that way, I'm sure. Call me a cynic, but I don't buy it.

And the show ends on budget, in time, and the couple loves it. I'm assuming this happens every show.

Give me This Old House.

Thomas Kinkade, Painter Of Crap

Maybe it's a bit of sour grapes, because Kinkade made money hand over fist for his incredibly lame art. The masses just loved it. Painter of light? You know who was a painter of light? Rembrandt! van Gogh! Monet! They were painters of light, not this hack.

This is a painter of light! (Rembrandt)
This is a painter of light! (Van Gogh)
This is a painter of light! (Monet)
This is a painter of crap! (Kinkade)
So each year, just after Christmas, because they are on sale, I buy greeting cards to send out the next year. (Yes, I send Christmas cards.) What I look for are cards with a secular Christmas message. I ain't sending any religious messages.

So, I was filling out this year's cards when I realized the cover art was by Thomas Kinkade, painter of crap. God damn it!.

Dimland Radio Science Hero: Keith Law

In mid November, pitching legend Curt Schilling took to the Twitter to demonstrate that he doesn't understand evolution. "If we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys." Sigh. That is a common question of those who never learned about one of the strongest supported by evidence theories known to science.

Schilling is a contributor to ESPN and a fellow contributor, Keith Law, took to the Twitter to counter Schilling's ignorance. Law's Twitter account was suspended. Nothing happened to Schilling.

A few days later, Law had his account reinstated. ESPN said it wasn't suspended because of his views on evolution, but they were unclear as to why.

"Eppur si muove." was Law's first Tweet after reinstatement. Click here to learn what he meant.

I Must Be Getting Old...

I don't like the look of the current style of men's suits. They look too small and ill-fitting to me. Maybe, I'm just old.
It looks uncomfortable to me.
 My Dad Is Old...

This past Friday was the memorial service for my Uncle Dick. It was a very nice service. There was plenty mentions of God and prayers, but I kept my composure.

My father, however, had no problem with God and praying, but he did find the pastor a tad long-winded. He muttered as much to my younger brother, but Dad could be heard by those not sitting right next to him. Including the pastor.

Movie Recommendation: Apollo 13 (1995)

Imagine Entertainment
A very good telling of the "successful failure" of Apollo 13. It was to be the third mission to the moon, but an on board explosion made the mission one of getting the three astronauts home alive.

Well directed by Ron Howard with a fine cast featuring: Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, Kevin Bacon, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris, and Kathleen Quinlan.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Wolves, Lower' by REM & 'Watusi Rodeo' by Guadalcanal Diary
Second ad break bumpers: 'We Care A Lot' by Faith No More & 'We Got The Beat' by The Go Go's
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment