12.07.2014

dimland radio 12-6-14 show notes

 
I Know I Said I Wouldn't Do It, But...

I just had to talk a bit more about Ken Burn's Baseball. Last week I went on about how Mario Cuomo was a drag on the series. He's so dower. I also mentioned how he is such a politician that he tries to sell us on the idea that he loves the bunt. Nobody loves the bunt!
 
So, I continued watching the documentary and in the 10th Inning, the follow up to the main series, a journalist and baseball fan, Michael Barnicle, backed me up. He was talking about the steroid era and he made the point that ball players watch the highlights on Sports Center. He said, "There's no highlight films of bunts."
 
Thank you! 10 points, Mr. Barnicle.

Pedantic Moments
 
In some parts of the world this is accurate.


 
I had more than one for this show. I started with a graphic I stopped on Facebook. The creator of the graphic was bothered by Americans being called Americans. They attempted to claim that North and South America are one continent. That's not what I learned in school.
 
However, people in Spanish speaking countries do learn that in school. I thought the seven continents was universal. I guess not. You can learn more here.
 
Still, the United States of America is the only country in the world with America in its name. That makes it acceptable to call it America for short and its citizens are Americans. What else would you call us?
 
Then I went into more pedantry by talking about an episode of The Night Gallery. This classic TV show by Rod Serling featured stories of supernatural themes with twists fitting of Serling's other series, The Twilight Zone.
 
This particular show had Jack Cassidy using astral projection to exact some revenge on his young wife and his doctor with whom he believed she was having an affair. In his ghost-like form he was still able to move around and walk through walls. How do ghosts do that? How do intangible beings propel themselves? How does he pick up an object he intends to use as a weapon? How does that object pass through walls and is then able to crush the victim's skull?
 
Jack Cassidy on The Night Gallery
As I discussed this particular pedantic moment, another one occurred to me. Jack Cassidy was married to Shirley Jones back in the day and she starred in The Partridge Family. I recently saw an episode from the first season, in which the family was dowsed in skunk scent.
 
Somehow the group ended up in a hospital to perform for the sick kids. Instead of giving the family gowns or scrubs to wear, they were given various other outfits. And for some reason the gals all wore hats. Why would they wear hats?
 
Anyway, I noted that Shirley Jones, in the outfit she was wearing, looked...hot.
 
See what I mean?
Sad News

We had a death in the family. My Uncle Dick died on Tuesday of lung cancer. We thought he had gotten past it when, in August, his doctor's classified him as a cancer survivor. It didn't last long. The cancer returned and he went into at home hospice. It didn't take long for the disease to run its course.
 
Uncle Dick was a good guy. Not perfect, but who is? He had a great ability for story-telling and he loved his corny jokes. He loved baseball and he got to work at Target Field, the home of the Minnesota Twins, where he was well liked by everyone.
 
I related a couple stories about him and let everyone know he will be missed.

Movie Recommendation: Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954)
 
MGM
Ok, I haven't seen this one, so I don't know if it is any good. It's a musical and I usually don't care for them. But, it was my Uncle Joe's favorite movie. Uncle Joe was Uncle Dick's twin brother. He had died in the spring of 2013, so to honor them both I recommended it. If you watch it, let me know if it is any good. Email me at drdim@dimland.com or comment below.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Villiers Terrace' by Echo & the Bunnymen & 'Vamos' by Pixies
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Village' by New Order & 'Vanishing Girl' by The Dukes of Stratosphear
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment