6.29.2015

dimland radio 6-27-15 show notes

Why Do I Keep Listening To The Film Vault

The Film Vault is a weekly podcast on which the two hosts make a Top 5 list of a different category related to movies. Generally, I like the two hosts: Bald Bryon and Anderson. However, they can drive me nuts!

I discussed a few of those reasons and specifically complained about their most recent show. That show featured their Top 5 picks of songs performed in movies. These songs could not be covers and the films couldn't be documentaries or concert films. The song had to be by a fictional artist as part of the film.

My complaint was that they played clips of the songs and talked of virtually every second of every clip! ARRGH!!

Why do I keep listening to the show? See this week's movie recommendation.

More About The Confederate Flag

I noted that there were plenty of people pushing to take those flags down from State buildings, but there's been a bandwagon jumping by Walmart, eBay, and other sellers by stopping the sale of any item festooned with the offensive flag.

I'm not so sure that's the best thing to do. I still maintain that private citizen should be able to own and display it if they like, but our government should rethink it.

And there was this cartoon that makes an excellent point, which I mentioned on the show, but now I can't find it. Sorry.

It's Not True: Not A Rat In The KFC Meal

Doubtful News carried the follow-up to this sensational, though hard to swallow story. The rat turned out to be (drum roll) chicken.

Pedantic Moment: Buick Ads

I really get bugged when I watch the current Buick ads in which people can't tell which car is a Buick. The new Buicks aren't your dad's Buicks anymore, apparently. They ain't dumpy anymore, so people are having a hard time identifying a Buick.

A valet parking attendant can't find the Buick in the lot. A woman standing on the sidewalk, inches away from her friend sitting in a Buick can't find her find. Her friend just says, "I'm in the Buick."

This does not reflect reality. 

Pringles Moment
 
Picture that scene in 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' in which Violet ignores Mr. Wonka's warning to not chew the entire meal flavored gum which hadn't been perfected yet. Instead of an entire meal, imagine just a cheese burger. And instead of gum, imagine  Pringles chip.
 
Are you imagining it? Well, that's pretty much the experience I had when I ate a cheese burger flavored Pringles chip. Except I didn't balloon up and there were no Oompa Loompas. 

Pedantic Moment: Picking Apart 'Westworld"
 
I then spoiled the hell out of the 1973 classic sci-fi Western 'Westworld'. I like the movie, but there are a few things that make it pick apart worthy. If you haven't seen it yet, you may want to watch it first before listening to my rantings.
 
Movie Recommendations: Frank (2014)


 
A quirky, enjoyable film about an aspiring musician getting involved with an unusual, arty, underground band led by Frank. Frank (Michael Fassbender) is the artistic genius behind the band and he's just a bit off, but so likeable. Oh, and he wears a papier-mache head. All the time.
 
It's pretty unusual and it has some pretty unusual music. You'll like it as long as Anderson and Bryon are talking through the main song in the final performance in the film. 
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'All You Pretty Girls' by XTC & 'All Gone Away' by The Style Council
Second ad break bumpers: 'All Shook Down' By The Screaming Blue Messiahs & 'All Those Years Ago' by George Harrison
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment