7.13.2015

dimland radio 7-11-15 show notes

Gone But Not Idle

The show has been away for a couple weeks, because of the Fourth of July holiday, but I was still busy. The company I work for started cleaning a new building (NASTY! More on that later.) and I posted five blogs.

The blog topics:

Never Founds: Lime Spiders & Black Flag

A special post for the Stuck in the 80s blog about George Hrab's podcast featuring his acoustic version of Yes' '90125.

Warehouse Find had two posts: Comic book artist Tom Sutton and his work on 'Werewolf By Night' & Abe Vigoda and my older brother's birthday.

NASTY NASTY Building

The janitorial service I work for started a new property, which is a good thing, but that building had been grossly neglected. I went on about just how bad the restrooms were to get cleaned up. The restrooms were thick with dust and the toilets and urinals were disgusting. There were 11 restrooms. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the restroom in 'Trainspotting' (see picture). A few of the worst restrooms were 2s, most were 3s, and one was a 5.

Not as bad as this, but close.
The rent must have been exceedingly cheap for the tenants to put with that quality of clean.
Yuck!

You Won't Accept My Claim Without Good Evidence! Open Your Mind!

I talked about skepticism and the open mind. I reminded listeners that skeptics (big S, little S, whatever) have open minds, they just require better evidence than anecdotes and other fuzzy evidence. I had a friend make the remark that the Skeptoid Podcast gets "smarmy and belittling" toward people who have beliefs and ideas unproven by science.

Ah, the arrogance.
 

Sharon Hill of Doubtful News wrote a nice piece about this open mind argument.

Movie Recommendations: An Honest Liar (2014)
An excellent documentary about the life and work of the world's best known (or most notorious depending on your bias) skeptic, James Randi. It profiles his early career in magic and as an escape artist through his work fighting the fakers. Much of the film's material was familiar to me, but still enjoyable. If you call your blood boiling watching Peter Popoff apply his con enjoyable.
We do get something unexpected in the final third of the film. Apparently, Randi is correct. No matter how intelligent or learned they are, anyone can be fooled. Even Randi. 

 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Guess I Must Have Been In Love With Myself' by Pete Shelley & 'And I Moved' by Pete Townshend
Second ad break bumpers: 'But I'm Different Now' By The Jam & 'Eye In The Sky' by Alan Parsons Project
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment