8.31.2015

dimland radio 8-29-15 show notes

One Of The Weird Things I Do...
One of these might just be hidden somewhere near you.
Since I was a kid I found I liked hiding toy soldiers in places. Places that had some permanence to them. Such as in the foundation wall of a local library, under a walk path in a nearby park, and throughout my house.
 
I know. It's weird.

The Joker Has How Many Teeth?
 
How many teeth do you count?
 
You may be aware that I do a blog for Warehouse Find, the official blog of the Nostalgia Zone. The Nostalgia Zone is a store selling old comic books and collectibles. I try to blog for them on a regular basis and I've had some success at that.
 
My most recent blog is about a particular illustration of Batman's greatest enemy, The Joker. Go here to read my take on it.
 
Barking Up The Wrong Tree

I received a request through my Dimland Radio Facebook page. It was a request to have psychic Karissa Fleck and haunted person Phil Siracusa as guests on my show. You may be aware that I very rarely have guests on my show. And a psychic and some guy claiming he's haunted by demons aren't what I want on Dimland Radio. If I have guests they will be skeptics.
 
Funny the psychic, who was the person who sent the request, didn't realize I'm a skeptic. Must be the psychic power dampening field we skeptics have that keeps psychics, dowsers, etc. from plying their trade, as it were.
 
She also didn't look very closely at the Dimland Radio page. If she had, she wouldn't need to be psychic to know she was barking up the wrong tree.
 
I did suggest other "trees" she could go to who met be more accepting of her claims.
 
Barking Up The Right Tree

True, I don't do guests very often, but if I did (and I might) I'd have Jeff Wagg as a guest. He used to work with the James Randi Educational Foundation and he now runs the College Of Curiosity. He loves to promote being curious, although he still practices skepticism.
 
He does a Daily Curio and a recent one dealt with getting taking in by "news" posts on social media. He talks of a story that went around the internets about a young girl sent home with a note stating she could not bring her Wonder Woman lunchbox to school. This is because Wonder Woman is a comic book super hero and super heroes solve problems through violence.
 
I'll let you get the full story from Jeff here.
 
A Blog About Penn Jillette
 
Penn Jillette has lost a lot of weight and I'm a bit skeptical about the method he used to get there. There's no doubt the weight loss program worked, but I am worried he might not be getting all that his body needs. Of course, I might not be getting all that my body needs.
 
You can read my post here.
 
You will note there is a clarification on the definition of a gris gris. That's there because a person on Facebook is even more pedantic than I am. But I am pedantic so I made sure to post the clarification even though I was told I really didn't have to.
 
What's my favorite tree?
 
Pedantry. 

Movie Recommendations: Mud (2012)

Everest Entertainment
It was a rather quick recommendation, but it is a really good film. Matthew McConaughey plays the title role. This is part of McConaughey's reinventing of his image. Gone is the insipid rom-com role, enter a damn fine actor.
 
Mud is a bit of a shady character, who is hiding out on a tiny island on the Arkansas River. He's befriended by two 14 year-old boys who live on the river. They take to Mud and help him get the items he needs to get an abandoned motorboat functional and to get messages to his girl played by Reese Witherspoon.
 
But trouble comes, as we knew it had to.
 
There's a real Mark Twain flavor to the story. And it gets my wife's stamp of approval. What more do you need?
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'I Would Die 4 U' by Prince & 'Face Dances Part Two' by Pete Townshend
Second ad break bumpers: 'Eight Miles High' by Husker Du &  'Mega City 1' By The Screaming Blue Messiahs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment