9.08.2015

dimland radio 9-5-15 show notes

Hot, Sweaty Week

I hate sweating. Oh, I don't mind it if I sweat while I'm working, but if I'm sitting and reading or whatever, sweating is just plain wrong. And I've been sweating a lot this past week, because it's been so humid and the AC at the office doesn't work for shit.

Earning My Pay

So, it's hot and crappy sweaty all week and, on Friday, I got to cap by telling two employees they were losing their jobs, because we lost the account at which they were working.

My job is working for a janitorial service and we occasional lose accounts. Hopefully not because we were doing a poor job. On rare occasions that may be the case. But most of the time it's because of new management, they decide to clean themselves, someone came in much cheaper, or they go out of business.

We think this latest lose is because they want to clean it themselves. Still, it doesn't make it easier to tell someone they've lost their job, even it is just part time work.
 
Climate Versus Weather

This isn't the graphic I talked about, but it will do as a stand in.
I mentioned a graphic I spotted on the Facebook. Unfortunately, I can't find it, so the image above will have to do and you'll just have to take my word about that graphic. It was being shared by folks who want to get others to understand the serious threat of global warming.

Now, I am on board with the whole climate change thing being largely human caused and that we need to curtail our release of greenhouse gases into our atmosphere, but I'm not on board with using weather to argue climate.

Yes, as the graphic tells us, Seattle has no record of ever having a summer with ten or more days with high temperatures of 90 or higher, until this year. But that is just one year. That's weather. If the graphic had shown how there has been a steady increase in those hots days each summer in Seattle over the last ten, twenty years, that would be climate.

Minneapolis normally averages ten 90 degree days per summer. Of the past two summers, there have been only two days of 90 or higher in 2014 and 2015 hasn't had many more than that. Would I be accurate if I used those two data points to argue the globe is cooling? 

It's Not True (Probably)...

I talked about how most of the evidence refutes the idea that when women work or live together their menstrual cycle synchronize. There is some published work out there that indicates that pheromones may affect cycles, but it has been called into question.

Therefor, I called this an It's Not True...Probably.
 
Most Memorable Moment In High School Health Class

Not exactly my health teacher, but close.
Ms Gredvig was a tough Phy-Ed teacher. She could be harsh and unfair.

I didn't have her for phy-ed. I had her for health class. One day she decided to show the class, the entire class, an educational film about breast cancer and how to do a self examination. The film included a young high school age looking woman (probably at least 18 years old) performing a self exam.

No blurring. No black bars. We saw naked breasts in our health class. We never did find out why Ms Balbricker..er... I mean Ms Gredvig didn't excuse the boys from the class.

Kim Davis And Tracking Social Media Outrage
 
I weighed in on the Kim Davis situation, by saying she should quit her job if she doesn't like what the job requires her, by law, to do. Part of her job is to issue marriage licenses, but her religious faith has her refusing to issue those licenses to same sex couples.

She has be found in contempt of court for the refusal and is headed to jail.

I'm OK with that.

I'm not OK with attacking her because of how she looks. That is irrelevant. I find it funny that some on the Left feel personal attacks are fine when used against people they disagree with, but not so when they agree with the person being attacked. It's a bit of that whole Us versus Them thinking. And we all need to do our best to avoid partaking in it.

Here's a take that also doesn't like the attack on her looks approach.

I also mentioned I'm considering keeping track of the social outrages of next year. There are sure to be a few rolling around the social media. I'm interested in how long outrages last, who they are against, and which next outrage draws the public's attention next.

I'm considering it. We have to see if I do it. 

Movie Recommendations: The Legend Of Boggy Creek (1972)

Howco International Pictures
I recently blogged about this docudrama about a bigfoot-like creature living in the swampland near Fouke, Arkansas. When this movie was released it was a sensation and it thrilled me as an eight year old. But, when I saw it as an adult, it had lost its senational appeal.

It's still an intriguing viewing. I wonder how people back then didn't just scoff at this rather amateurish film. It's worth look and you can see the entire movie on YouTube. 

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Big Brother Muscle' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs & 'Smalltown Boy' by Bronski Beat
Second ad break bumpers: 'Small Blue Thing' by Suzanne Vega &  'Big Mouth Strikes Again' By The Smiths
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment