9.14.2015

dimland radio 9-12-15 show notes

Report To Court

Just before I sat down to record this show, I found something pretty scammy in my email. It was a notice from "State Court" that I appear. The English was a bit awkward and there was no indication as to which court I needed to appear before nor was there any reason given for my appearance.
 
There was an attachment which I was instructed to open. I didn't. I read the notice on the show and then deleted the obvious scam email.

Remembering 9/11

It's an annual occurrence. The swallows return to Capistrano each fall. The cherry blossoms bloom in Washington DC each spring. And, every year for the past 14 years, the "truthers" take to the social media to convince the "sheeple" that 9/11 was an inside job.
 
This is the latest example of 9/11 conspiracy logic that I spotted on Facebook.
They site the usual anomalies or what they think are inconsistencies in the reporting of the events of that day. Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel. There's no way 19 hijackers armed with box cutters could pull this off. The Jews all stayed home that day. What's his name said, "Pull it." The Pentagon couldn't have been hit by a plane. Building 7! Blah. Blah. Blah.
 
And on it goes. There's little hope of getting them to face reality.
 
Here is what the evidence tells us about what happened on September 11, 2001 and how the conspiracy theorists are so wrong. And here is what a former "truther" has to say about Building 7. He is a former "truther", so it may be possible for others to see the light. And this from Popular Mechanics.
 
I also talked about what I remember of that day and the fearful strangeness of the days that followed.
 
Politics

I'm no expert in politics. Frankly, I'm just plain tired of the whole us versus them scenario that any political system made up of humans can't help but create. I see a lot of Left against Republican stuff on my Facebook. Which obviously means that most of my FB friends tend to be politically liberal.
 
I commented on a posting on the liberal site PoliticusUSA by Sarah Jones, was detailing a speech given by Sen. Al Franken before the Senate explaining his support of the Iran nuclear deal. What he said seemed reasonable to me.
 
Something Ms Jones said gave me pause: "Maybe it's not possible for Republicans to learn from their Iraq decision, because they don't view it as a mistake to invade a sovereign nation on a lie." (Emphasis added by me.)
 
There it was again. This Bush lied bullshit. Ms Jones appears to forget that nearly every Democrat was on board with using military force against Iraq, including VP Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. Here is an admittedly conservative source listing Democrats "lying" about Iraq.
 
I usually ask: If Bush lied and he knew there were no stockpiles of WMD, why didn't he and the evil genius Dick Cheney make certain that the weapons inspectors found some? Why didn't they assigned some special black ops unit to bring in some biological and chemical weapons containers and plant them so as to be found later?
 
But, on a closer read, Ms Jones does seem to be indicating the Democrats have learned "from their Iraq decision" when it comes to the handling of Iran.
 
As always, however, when it comes to politics I have to admit it's possible that I am wrong.

Gone Jetta Gone
 
Our Jetta at a healthier, happier time.
After more than a year and a half of sitting in the garage, we finally got our VW Jetta out and parked on the street to be towed away as a donation to a local school. It was quite a chore and my wife and I owe big thanks to my younger brother, Steve. He made it possible to get the dead vehicle out of our lives.
 
10 points, Steve!
 
Star Trek: DS9's Lowest Moment

Regular listeners to my show know I really like baseball. I can't play it, but I love to watch it.
 
Regular listeners to my show will also know I like Star Trek. The Next Generation series is my favorite. No other captain can top Picard.
 
I just recently finished watching the Deep Space 9 series for the first time. I'm not sure why I wasn't interested in it when it originally aired, but I saw it was streaming (not for free) on Netflix. I figured I'd watch it and it would be like a new Star Trek series to me.
 
Overall, I enjoyed the series. It had a few awkward moments, but when the war with the Dominion heated up, the show got pretty darn good.
 
BUT, they produced quite a clinker in their final season. In an episode meant to lighten the tension of a season long war, the producers decided to have the characters take part in a baseball game.
 
Not since I saw what was claimed to be a baseball game in that sparkly vampires movie, had I seen such a ludicrous depiction of the Great American Past-time. It was awful.
 
First of all, according to Star Trek, there is no baseball in the 24th Century. What?! Why live in the future? But Captain Sisko and his son still like the game and play it in the holo-suites (don't ask me to explain). An old rival stops by DS9 and Sisko finds out the rival and his crew (all Vulcans) have been playing baseball regularly (don't ask me to explain). Sisko issues a challenge to a game pitting DS9's best players against the Vulcan's best. The DS9 crew then have TWO WEEKS to learn all the rules and how to play the game.
 
What ensues is absolutely ridiculous. Almost impossible to watch, but I forced myself. Our heroes do lose to the Vulcans by a score of 10 - 1. But, realistically the Vulcan's score should have been much, much higher.
 
This clip with a U2 song, not sure why, will give you some idea of what I went through watching the show. This clip without U2 might do even better.
 
It was horrible.

Movie Recommendations: None

I went on too long about that Star Trek assault on the greatest game ever. I didn't get to a recommendation, so you are on your own. 

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Bonneville' by The dB's & 'Jordan, MN' by Big Black
Second ad break bumpers: 'Los Angeles' by X &  'Cooks County' By The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment