11.16.2015

dimland radio 11-14-15 show notes

Good Neighbor Jim Tarnished?

For two weeks we've had a fellow who lives down the block from us leaving his apparently non operating truck along the curb by our house. It isn't the worst thing in the world, but it does inconvenience me when I park along that curb.
 
I was as tolerant as I think I could have been, so I reported it to the authorities. After all, snow is on the way and I don't want some broken down truck getting in the way of the snow plow. I was told what the process would be. First, chalk the tires; then after a day or so tag it; finally, after another day or so tow it.
 
When I got home that night, the fellow and someone else were rigging the truck to be towed and they took it away. I don't know if he was called by the city or if he had coincidentally come to haul it away.
 
Either way, we have our curb back.
 
Pedantic Moment: Chevy Ads
   
One of the ads for Chevy shows real people reacting to video of some Black Friday shopping frenzy. The "real" people in the ad were shocked. (Apparently, they've never watched the news before, especially around Thanksgiving.) The ad says that Chevy has a better way. Great. But people don't mob car dealerships on Black Fridays.
 
Penn Jillette Is On A Crazy Diet
   
AND HE WON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT!
 
We get it, Penn. You're in love and you want the world to know about it, but after a month of Penn's Sunday School podcasts focusing part of or the entire show on this scientifically dubious diet it is getting tiring.
 
A Quick Observation...
 
Ever notice that Hogan's Heroes was always set in mid-November type weather. It was always a little cold with a little snow on the ground. The series ran for six season and it was never summer.
 
The Great Escape had that same kind of vibe going on. Albeit to a lesser extent.
 
Movie Recommendations: The Great Escape (1963)

United Artists
 
As long as I had brought it up. I figured I'd make it my movie recommendation for this week. This 1963 WWII POW classic is pretty damn good. A terrific popcorn movie that was from the era of the studio system, but very near the end of those days.
 
Lots of familiar faces and Steve McQueen. And it's based on an actual event.
 
It's streaming (not for free) on Netflix.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Rescue' by Echo & the Bunnymen & 'Relax' by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
Second ad break bumpers: 'Requiem' by Killing Joke &  'Repetition' By Urban Guerrillas
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment