11.23.2015

dimland radio 11-21-15 show notes - show 250!

Two Hundred And Fifty?!

Yes, I've done 250 Dimland Radio shows since March 2010. And some thought I wouldn't last two months and I don't just mean my wife. There were other doubters. (Actually, the wife comment is just a joke. She fully supports my doing the show.)
 
I didn't do anything particularly special for show 250, but I did mention the milestone.
 
I Can't Leave My Boss Alone In The Office

Not every time, but often enough my boss will just have to do something when left alone in the office. He just can't help himself.
 
Most recently he threw out an important post-it note left under my mouse pad. Written on it were a couple important passwords. I was able to retrieve that info. So, no harm done.
 
But, still.
 
Pedantic Moment: FDR
 
Elected to 4 terms, you mean.
Pedantry, properly done, is not easy. Even a pedant such as myself doesn't always get it right. The other day someone posted the image above and I pedantically pointed out that Pres. Franklin Roosevelt did not serve four terms. He was elected to a fourth term, of which he only served less than three months, because he died in office.
 
A far more amateur pedant than myself tried to convince me that three months is a term, just not a full one. Nope. Not even close.
 
ISIS And Penn Jillette
   
Now I don't mean to be equating Penn with ISIS. So, bear with me.

I talked about Penn's follow up on his show with the scientifically questionable Dr. Joel Fuhrman and his ideas about food. Penn got a lot of push back from his skeptic listeners. He addressed some of the concerns. Not perfectly, but well enough, I suppose.
 
He also talked about the attacks in Paris and the downed Russian airliner by the Islamic terrorist group ISIS. I agreed with his assessment that people so obsessed with death that they are willing to blow themselves up need to be giving a reason to love life more.
 
I also complained about people on social media sharing graphics with the sentiment that Christianity has been responsible for violent and ugly acts, too. OK, but how does that help us now?
 
Hunting Sucks. So Does Deer Starvation.
 
A young Facebook friend posted images of herself wearing a t-shirt with the slogan: "Shoot selfies, not animals. Hunting sucks." Along with the words was the silhouette of a deer. I got involved. Why? Why did I do that?!
 
I took the line that culling the herd prevents the population of deer from outgrowing their food sources, which would lead to starvation and more deer/car collisions.
 
There was an attempt the suggest it would be better to allow the populations of predator animals (bear, wolves, cougars, etc.) to grow to deal with the deer population. This would mean no hunters necessary.
 
The problem is that you can't make sure predators only prey on deer. Livestock, pets, and even people would be endangered then. And I suggested they might not like to have a wolf walk onto their deck when they are checking of an eclipse of the moon, say.
 
As terrifying as that racoon that visited me a few weeks ago was, I'm glad it wasn't a wolf.
 
Too Much Information About Me

Damn! This is so hot!
My wife swears she didn't tell anyone, but somehow my very personal kink was turned into a meme. I'm mortified!
 
Dr. Oz "Tests" A Claim
 
A couple of young entrepreneurs have come up with a brain power booster chewing gum. Hmmm. Brain power boost, eh? That claim ought to be put to the scientific test. Enter Dr. Oz. Exit science.
 
A reporter for the Dr. Oz Show looked into the claim. She was the test subject. So, that's a sample size of one. There was no control group, no placebo group. The test was not even single blinded, let only double blinded.
 
Any results, whether negative or positive, are worthless.  
 
Movie Recommendations: The Dark Valley (2014)

 
I said it was German, but it appears to be Austrian. Whichever it is,  it is a very good Western set in Germany. It's a revenge film about a small village tucked away in a valley, surrounded by mountains, which is run by Old Brenner and his six sons. It's a hard life filled with hard men and women, who live in fear of the Brenner boys.
 
One late autumn day, a stranger rides in...
 
It's streaming (not for free) on Netflix.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Ghosts' by The Jam & 'Drinking With An Angel' by The Suburbs
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Jezebel Spirit' by Brian Eno & David Byrne &  'My Wife & My Dead Wife' By Robyn Hitchcock & the Egyptians
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment