12.07.2015

dimland radio 12-5-15 show notes

Dimland Radio War On Christmas

Each holiday season the Salvation Army bell-ringers take up residence at the entrances of various retailers throughout town. And each holiday season I feel that twinge of guilt because I don't drop any money in the bucket. Sure, the Salvation Army might be helping feed, clothe, and house the poor, but it's all done with a heaping helping of Jesus.
 
As an atheist, I just can't throw in a buck. I'll give to a different charity that doesn't proselytize as part of the bargain.
 
But, recently having successfully dodged the bell-ringers, I found I had another obstacle that I really couldn't avoid. The cashier at the grocery store asked if I wanted to round up the total to give the extra money to... the Salvation Army!
 
I just serpentined my way past the bucket brigade outside! Now I have to declare to the cashier that I do not want to give money to the Salvation Army. What's a poor atheist to do?
 
I said, "No."
 
Internet Awesomeness

Back in the mid-80s I became a regular at the legendary Minneapolis nightclub First Avenue & the 7th Street Entry. Every Tuesday night my friend John and I could be found there enjoying DJ Kevin Cole's Club Degenerate. Cole played the coolest alternative tunes of the day and the past, along with whatever else hit his fancy. Those nights were almost always great fun and we rarely missed a Tuesday night at First Avenue.
 
Occasionally, there would be a live performance on those nights. A local band would play a few songs and then the night would move on. One such band was the Fuckin' Shit Biscuits. The Biscuits could best be described as a noise band whose members barely knew how to play their instruments.
 
But, it didn't matter. They were just plain fun. They would give out free tap beer at the start of their set which led to audience members dousing the band in the free beer. So much fun.
 
Well, the other day, I posted a link on the Dimland Radio Facebook page to a Skeptoid episode on black mold. A comment appeared telling me that link was fair payment for all that beer given away at Club Degenerate.
 
What? Could it be? Yes, it could.

The poster was a member of the band! How cool is the internet?!
 
Internet Not-So-Awesomeness
 
Well, hold on there, pardner! Before we get too excited about internet awesomeness. There's this guy.
 
 
 
Joshua Feuerstein is a YouTube evangelist. Not only does he think evolution is a lie and that atheists are fools; the dumbass insists on doing virtually all of his videos in the portrait format. And you know how much I hate that.
 
Well, last July, Josh took a break from displaying his scientific ignorance to talk about Cecil the lion. He couldn't help but compare the death of that lion to the millions of babies killed through abortion. He remarked on how the dentist who killed Cecil had to going into hiding, fearing for his life.
 
Josh upped the ante and told his fairly sizable audience that it was time that abortion doctors should have to fear for their lives.
 
Cut to just a couple weeks ago when a domestic terrorist, anti-abortion nut went into a Planned Parenthood clinic and began pulling the trigger.
 
Josh removed his post, but through the awesomeness of the internet there were people out there who thwarted Mr. Feuerstein's efforts. Thanks to Hemant Mehta, the Friendly Atheist.
 
I don't know that the gunman was a follower of Feuerstein's, but it's obvious Josh doesn't want the association to be made.
 
Josh also posted a video (This time in landscape! All hail to His Noodly Appendages!) in which he gave his theory as to why all these mass shooting events have been happening in America. It's because we kicked God out of our country. This kind of thing didn't happen back in the days when there was prayer in school.
 
I gave a list of things that did happen in our country back in the good old days of prayer in school: Turning a blind eye to wife and child abuse, institutionalized racism, closeted LGBT folks, and let's not forget lynchings and, in the really good old days, slavery. Mr. Mehta also pointed some of those items out. I added that Sweden, a country that could be said to have also "kicked God out," doesn't seem to have the mass shooting incident rate that we have in the States.
 
And Speaking Of Mass Shootings
   
Two more have occurred since I last did a show. It's really frustrating the apparent frequency at which these shootings are happening. They are still very rare, but that doesn't make them less impactful.
 
There are always the demands for more gun laws, but would that work? If there were 14 gun laws broken by the shooters in Colorado and California, would a 15th law have stopped them? Maybe. I don't know.
 
I don't know the answer to all this.
 
And it's damned frustrating.
 
Movie Recommendation: None

Ran out of time, so you're on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Cows' by The Suburbs & 'Brass Monkey' by Beastie Boys
Second ad break bumpers: 'Bull Rider' by Johnny Cash &  'Crocodiles' by Echo & the Bunnymen
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment