5.16.2016

dimland radio 5-14-16 show notes

This Skeptic Poops His Own Party

Being a skeptic sometimes means you poop the occasional party. You tell how that excellent, hilarious story that happened to a friend of a friend is just an urban legend. You let people know that green tea isn't a miracle weight loss product and/or it doesn't cure cancer. And that emergency room visits are no higher during a full moon than they are during any of the other phases of the moon.

But, sometimes, a skeptic can poop his own party. Last week I raved about The Who, the greatest band in the world. I talked about the concert I'd just seen and I pointed out how Roger Daltrey nailed the "YEEEAAAAHHH!" at the end of 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.

I was impressed, but it was also quite jarring that he nailed it so well. I even made an aside during the show wondering if they had somehow "sweetened" the scream.

Well, that wondering got this skeptic doing the skeptical thing: Trying to find an answer to this probably better left unanswered question.

I think I found an answer. There is a video of the entire concert I attended in Minneapolis. It's not the best audio and video quality, but it did confirm that that scream sounded damn good. Maybe too damn good.

I then found another video clip of the band performing the same song nearly a year earlier. There were a couple clues that made it clear to me. The scream was EXACTLY the same as when saw them two weeks ago. Also, that second video clearly shows Roger not quite getting the lip sync right.

Well, Roger is 72 and he sang everything else, so I'll cut him some slack and overlook being fooled this one time.

Alex Jones Is On Z Talk Radio Now...

..and I let station owner, Scotty Rorek, know that I intend to keep talking shit about the king of the conspiracy nuts. Mr. Jones hasn't met a conspiracy theory he doesn't at least think has some merit. Chemtrails, New World Order, mass shootings, etc. all fall under his paranoid gaze. And I will call him out whenever I can.

Scotty said, "No worries at all. Keep going."

All right. I will.

Dimland Radio ARGH!

I had an ARGH! this week dealing with what I call "I'm the only person in the world" syndrome. I had a few example, but the main ARGH! was aimed at people who park on a side street and throw their door open without checking for traffic.

That's a good way to lose a door.

Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Tigra The Were-Woman
 
Marvel Comics Group
An old comic book character caught my eye while cataloging comic books the other day. This female superhero was introduced to Marvel Comics fan as The Cat in 1972 and a couple years later she was transformed into part woman, part cat; thus came Tigra.

The pedantic moment comes from her subtitle "the Were-Woman", which is a play on the word werewolf. Well, the prefix "were" is Old English for man, so she's Tigra the Man-Woman.

Hmmm.
 
Movie Recommendation: Argo (2012) & Bridge Of Spies (2015)
 
Warner Bros.
I did a quick comparison of these two films depicting historical events. Both are good, but Argo does a much better job at building tension even though most viewers should already know the outcome.
 
DreamWorks Pictures
Both are well made and enjoyable, but I think Argo edges out Bridge of Spies.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Houses In Motion' by Talking Heads & 'Go' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'Move Me' by The Woodentops & 'Running Up The Hill (A Deal With God)' by Kate Bush
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment