5.08.2016

dimland radio 5-7-16 "the who show" show notes

Second Easiest Show Notes I've Ever Done...
 
Photo credit: Steve Cohen/CityPages
Honestly, I had not intended for the show to be solely about the greatest rock band ever: The Who. I even had notes prepared for a few other non-Who related topics, but I just couldn't help myself. I just had to gush about my all-time favorite band.
 
I talked about the first time I saw The Who. I hadn't planned on it, because I wasn't much of a Who fan then. But, my friend had an extra ticket and asked if I would go. I said yes and my life has been a love affair with the band and Pete Townshend in particular ever since.
 
I also covered the other times I saw the boys in concert. Each concert was thoroughly enjoyed by me, but then why wouldn't they be? I'm a massive fan and The Who are the greatest rock band ever. Have I mentioned that?
 
As part of my Who indulgence show I included the story behind this current tour and it's postponement due to Roger's illness in the fall of 2015. That illness added close to seven months to what would have already been a yearlong wait. The tickets went on sale in October 2014 for a show that was originally scheduled to take place in October 2015. The concert was to be part of Amy (my wife) and my 14th wedding anniversary celebration, but, because of the postponement, it became part of our Mother's Day celebration.
 
Photo credit: Steve Cohen/CityPages
The concert took place in the Target Center in downtown Minneapolis. The Target Center is located across the street from the legendary nightclub First Ave & 7th Street Entry. Before heading into the stadium, Amy and I went over to see the temporary memorial that has been put up by Prince's star on the wall of First Avenue. There was a posting on the wall from The Who paying tribute to Minnesota's musical genius.
 
I described the show. I talked about my favorite moments and about the crowd. I speculated about those elderly audience members and how they may have conducted themselves way back in the 70s when they were young and going to concerts.
 
There are two versions of my review of the concert online. A shortened version for the Stuck in the 80s blog and a more verbose version on my weekly blog at Warehouse Find, the official blog of Nostalgia Zone. And was able to find a YouTube video of the ENTIRE concert! It's not the best quality video or sound, but you will be able to see what I was talking about.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so no recommendation this week. You are on your own.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Another Tricky Day' & 'Athena' by The Who
Second ad break bumpers:  'Cry If You Want' & 'You Better You Bet' by The Who
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment