10.24.2016

dimland radio 10-22-16 show notes

Hey! Do You Like A Good Poop Story?
 
I have worked for the same janitorial service for the better part of nearly 28 years and I've cleaned a lot of nasty messes, but there was one mess that defied belief. It involved a very security conscious business, video surveillance cameras, and an employee who couldn't tell when he had pooped.
 
Yep. He was vacuuming and... Well, the next morning guess who was cleaning the mess.
 
Uh huh.

Seems Legit

Last week the boss received the following message in his email:

"My name is Scott Smith, Attorney of Law. Sequel to your non response to my previous email, I am re-sending this to you again thus; A deceased client of mine, that shares the same last name as yours, who died as a result of a heart-related condition on January 28th 2009. I have contacted you to assist in distributing the money left behind by my client which is lodged in the bank."
 
Well, all the words are spelled correctly, but the grammar sounds a bit off. It sounds as though this Scott Smith, Attorney of Law, has as his first language something other than English. Of course, this is one of those internet scams sent out in hopes of getting a response to hook someone into sending money or giving bank account information.
 
However, the grammar is so bad and the idea that someone having the same last name is enough to determine a connection is so ridiculous, I find it hard to believe anyone falls for this. I'm tempted to rewrite that email so it, at least, makes sense. But that would be helping a scam.
 
There are all sorts of scammers out there. I mentioned seeing a video of a fellow who does his best to flummox a phone scammer. The scammer is trying to convince the man that it's the IRS calling demanding being paid for a tax debt. The fellow strings the scammer along pretty well.
 
Watch:
 
 

Pedantic Moment: Hogan's Heroes, Star Trek, The Suspension Of Disbelief, And Language

My pedantry goes way back. As a kid, I would struggle to suspend my disbelief of shows such as Hogan's Heroes. Sure, I could accept that such a camp would exist in the world that show inhabits. Yeah, the Allies have rigged the prisoner of war camp with a system of tunnels, radio equipment, and have bugging devices in the commandant's office. Certainly, the Germans in charge of the camp are too dim-witted to discover their prison camp is essentially a hub of espionage and sabotage.
 
But, Hogan and his men had better all be fluent in the German language. So much so that they can fool native Germans. They had to be, otherwise how would they know what Klink and Schultz are talking about in Klink's office. Surely, when by themselves they must have spoken their native language.
 
I don't recall the series ever mentioning the language skills of the Heroes, but they must have had them.
 
Then I mentioned science fiction and how various shows and books have gotten around the language issue. Isaac Asimov had a Galactic Language in his Foundation series. Douglas Adams had that fish that fit in the ear canal and translated alien languages. Doctor Who's TARDIS had the ability to translate language. And Star Trek had the universal translator.
 
All interesting ways around language barriers, however if you watch Star Trek, especially the later series-es, the need for a translator seems to be forgotten on occasion. I gave a couple examples on the show.

Movie Recommendation: The Jungle Book (2016)



We just watched this one. I thought it was terrific with some of the best CGI effects to date. The story was entertaining and the voice actors including Ben Kingsley, Idris Elba, Christopher Walken, Scarlett Johansson, and Bill Murray were spot on. The young actor Neel Sethi did a very good job considering he was acting against green screen and motion-capture actors.

There are two musical numbers of songs lifted from the Disney animated classic version from 1967. Not being much of a musical guy, I'm not all that sure they needed to be included in this version. Director Jon Favreau did a good job working in one number (Bare Necessities), however the second (I Wan'na Be Like You) felt a little shoe-horned in. Minor complaint.

I'm seriously tempted to give this a five star rating on Netflix. I'll probably go four stars, because I'm not much of a musical guy and the songs weren't really necessary. Still this movie is well worth a watch or two.

Music heard on the show...
 
Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Lyin' Ass Bitch' by Fishbone & 'Uncertain Smile' by The The
Second ad break bumpers: 'Good Ole Boys Like Me' by Don Williams & 'OK, This is the Pops' by Tones On Tail
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment