12.12.2016

dimland radio 12-10-16 show notes

301st Show!

Which is significant because this is the first full length installment of Dimland Radio available on iTunes. The first thing you will find when you subscribe to the show on iTunes, and you will subscribe, is a 14 minutes primer. It's a quick background on the show and on me. It's something for new show listeners to check out to get an idea of what Dimland Radio is all about.

This show will be the first full length Dimland Radio posted to iTunes.

Damn Server!

For those of you who tuned in on Saturday night, I must apologize for the server. For some unknown reason, Z Talk's server decided to cut the show short. It stopped playback with about 15 minutes left and then started playing an older episode of Dimland Radio. I don't know what happened, but I can assure you I didn't touch anything.

You can get the entire show from the Z Talk Radio show archives page or you can subscribe on iTunes.

A Tale Of The Origin Of The Nickname Dr Dim
 
I have told this story before on the show, but for the benefit of new subscribers on iTunes I figured they'd be curious about the nickname: Dr Dim. It was a name I acquired in art school that just stuck around all these years.

I also told the story about an unusual sculpture I did in art school and how hanging it where I intended didn't quite work out as planned. Luckily, no one was hurt.

Time's Person Of The Year
 
A few people took it rather badly when Time magazine named President-Elect Donald Trump as its Person of the Year for 2016. I and many others attempted to explain to those taking to Facebook to call for a boycott of Time (I wonder how many of them were subscribers in the first place) that Person of the Year is not necessarily an honorific. And that the magazine names men or women or groups or ideas or items Person of the Year due to their impact on the world in a given year - for better or for worse.

I was disappointed by a few of the people complaining. I think they are generally intelligent, thoughtful, and well-reasoned. I may not always agree with their opinions, but I believed they come to their opinions rationally. But this knee-jerk everything about Trump is bad and Time is stupid reaction seems more emotional than reasoned. And I wonder if they even read the article.

I guess they are as human as anyone else.
 
Can you name someone who had more of an impact in 2016?
 
Pedantic Moment: Marlee Matlin Doesn't Know How To Mop
 
I've worked as a janitor for far too many years, and over that time I've learned how to do a few things cleaning wise.
 
The other night I was flipping through the channels when I spotted Children of a Lesser God was playing. I had enjoyed that movie when it was released in 1986 and I hadn't seen it since then. So, I stopped my clicking and watched for a bit.
 
William Hurt plays a new teacher at a school for the deaf and he meets a feisty young woman played by Marlee Matlin. She plays a former student of the school who now works there as a janitor. She's a fiery and stubborn woman and, of course, she and Hurt begin a torrid love affair.
 
But their first meeting was a little rocky.
 
Hurt is in his office, grading papers or whatever teachers do after school, when he hears water splashing in the hall. It's Matlin and she's cleaning the floor.
 
Here's where I get pedantic. That is not how you mop a floor! The way she's doing it expends far too much energy. She'll wear herself out. And she using way too much water.
 
Couldn't the producers have hired a janitor to consult?
 
Movie Recommendation: None
 
I ran out of time, so you are on your own.

Music heard on the show...
 
Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'That's Entertainment' by The Jam & 'OK Wait' by Naked Raygun
Second ad break bumpers: 'Good Thing' by The Woodentops & 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic' by The Police
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
Please subscribe on iTunes! And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment