12.19.2016

dimland radio 12-17-16 show notes

Dimland Radio Science Zero: Anthony Scaramucci

Not only did I give this fellow Science Zero status and made a bad joke about his name, I kept getting the pronunciation of his last name goofed up. Sorry.

Also, his being named a Science Zero got more complicated than when I first decided to give him the dishonor. Trump transition team advisor, Anthony Scaramucci was on CNN being interviewed by Chris Cuomo, son of former New York governor Mario Cuomo...

Tangent!

Before I got any further on Scaramucci, I went on a bit of a rant about Mario Cuomo and his appearance in Ken Burns' Baseball. I love that documentary series, both it's original nine parts (innings) and the follow-up: The Tenth Inning. My rant had to do with how doleful and dower Cuomo sounds when he talks. I'm sure he was a decent man and that he loved baseball, but his demeanor can't help but suck the air out of the room whenever he shows up in Burns history of the greatest game ever created.

And Cuomo loves the bunt. Nobody loves the bunt.

I couldn't find a clip from the baseball documentary, but here is one of him talking about his imagining of his mother's experience with immigration when coming to America:
Maybe it's just me, but it just doesn't seem the man is capable of experiencing joy. How did the people of New York elect him?

And a correction: I mentioned his statement about America not doing community well. I was rather miffed at that. Perhaps that's why I mistakenly included 9/11 as one of his examples of a crisis in which America does community better.

9/11 hadn't happened yet when the documentary was released. My mistake.

Back To The Show Before The Rant Started

Bad Astronomer Phil Plait blogged about Scaramucci's interview. Dr Plait laid out a good case for Trump's advisor to be a Dimland Radio Science Zero. Well, not specifically that. Dr Plait has no idea Dimland Radio exists, which may change now that it is available on iTunes. (Please subscribe!)

Scaramucci is not a scientist. He does acknowledge that, while he casts doubt on the vast majority of climate scientists when they say global climate change is real and human caused. He states that scientists have been wrong before. He brings up the mistaken beliefs that the earth was flat and the center of the universe. Cuomo, to his credit, responded, "It's called ignorance. You learn over time."

But Scaramucci stuck to his guns. And, in the video link on the Bad Astronomy blog, he states that, "people have gotten things wrong throughout the 5,500-year history of our planet." Well, right there, that nails his listing as a Dimland Radio Science Zero. The other statements on their own would get him there, but being a young-earther was a fine button on that bow.

Hold the phone! The video Dr. Plait shared was cut short by someone who may have wanted Scaramucci to look even more ridiculous. It cut immediately after the 5,500-year history of earth comment. But, the full length video of the interview went just a little bit longer and it captured his correcting himself. He quickly added, "...human history, I should say."

So, that makes him not necessarily a young-earther. After all, they believe the earth to be 6,000 or, maybe, 10,000 years old. Phil, to his credit, updated his blog once he became aware that the clip he shared was edited and misleading.

Anthony Scaramucci still is a Dimland Radio Science Zero. Just not as ignorant as I first thought.

Compelling Video Of A Russian Blobsquatch
 

I talked about the most famous film footage of an alleged bigfoot: the Patterson/Gimlin film. You may not know it by name, but you will very likely recognize its iconic images of "bigfoot" crossing a clearing in the woods of California and nonchalantly looking back over its shoulder at the cameraman. Since that 1967 footage made its way into the public consciousness, people have been attempting to get even better images.

It's been nearly 50 years and just about everyone has a camera, but still no video or film of the elusive, hairy giant has come close.

Well, maybe finally...

Recently, I was listening to a local talk radio show host mention some new bigfoot video that was spreading across the internet. This footage came from Russia. A dashcam captured the image of something crossing a snow covered country road at night. The two Russians in the vehicle were rather excited sounding when witnessing the creature's crossing. The show host said the video wasn't fuzzy.

Well, I had better check it out!

Was I convinced?

I'll put it this way: Congratulations Patterson/Gimlin film! You're still the best footage of an alleged bigfoot. Even if, as evidence, your images are inconclusive at best.

The radio station's link and an enhanced look with some skeptical commentary.

Movie Recommendation: None


I ran out of time, so you are on your own. Boy, this may be three weeks in a row. I will definitely try to get a recommendation in the next show. I'll try. No promises.

And you'll have to wait until my New Year's Eve show. I won't be doing a show for Saturday, 12/24.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Tantalized' by The Church & 'Death Of The European' by The Three Johns
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Want The One I Can't Have' by The Smiths & 'Me And Sarah Jane' by Genesis
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment