1.02.2017

dimland radio 12-31-16 show notes

Correction
 
I did make this correction in last week's show notes, still I started off the show letting my listeners know that the late New York Gov. Mario Cuomo did not mention 9/11 in Ken Burns' Baseball. That documentary first aired on PBS in 1994, seven years before the terrorist attacks in September, 2001.
 
Whoops. My mistake.

Dimland Radio ARGH!

My mistake correction led to me talking about how much I dislike it when grown adults say, "My bad." The phrase is "my mistake." Adults use that phrase. Toddlers just learning English might say "my bad," but you're an adult. Quit it!

A Ridiculous Moment In Janitorial
Janitorial work is often thankless. Most customers only call us when they want to complain about something. If we are doing our job properly, we usually don't hear anything from the customer.
 
Recently, we received an unusual request from one customer. When emptying their trash cans, they asked us to "...set things on our desk if [the cleaners] think [the customers] really don't want it 'thrown away'..."
 
Seriously?! They expect our cleaners to determine if trash is really trash?

The Rewards For An Artist Are So Rare
 
A fellow member of the Minnesota Skeptics, when learning I'm a cartoonist, asked if I could do an illustration of a Siamese cat having just killed two podcast hosts. The podcast is My Favorite Murder hosted by Karen Kilagariff and Georgia Hardstark and the murdering cat is Elvis.
 
Yep. I did this.
I did the illustration and had it ready for the next month's MN Skeptics meet-up. He was very impressive and I received much-gratifying praise for my ability. He said many of the same things I hear from other people. Such as, "I can't even draw a straight line." "How do you draw so well?" "Please allow me to pay you handsomely."
 
Well, that last statement is something that's pretty much never uttered. But my friend and I came to an agreeable arrangement for him to pay for my beers for the next several meet-ups.
 
Then something interesting happened. This fellow skeptic is a rather skilled wood-worker and carpenter and he had a small world moment which he shared on Facebook. I was then able to pleasantly turn the tables, so to speak, on him.
 
Listen to the show for the details.
 
Adam Ruins Everything
 
Adam Conover hosts a TruTV show called Adam Ruins Everything, on which he examines popular beliefs and then explains why those beliefs are wrong. Such as drinking 19 gallons of water a day to stay properly hydrated. If you're thirsty, drink some water. It's pretty basic.
 
His show has come under some fire by electric car advocates recently, but, as far as I can tell, he seems to get his facts right. And the show cites sources.
 
You can also watch segments of the show on YouTube, which is where I found his bit on trophy hunting. Oh, no, he's not ruining trophy hunting the way many of my Facebook friends would like. Nope, he's demonstrating how trophy hunting is actually helping save those endangered species. It may seem counter-intuitive, but it's true.
 
Watch this clip:
 
 
 
So, I've been posting this clip in the comment threads of FB friends who share images of rich folks happily poses with dead lions, leopards, giraffes, etc. These friends are so disgusted by these rich folks. But none have ever said as much as, "Oh, yeah!" whenever I've shared the information de-vilifying trophy hunting.

I may not be into hunting, but I don't find legal trophy hunting disgusting. I'm not disgusted by photos of rich folks posing with their legal and very expensive trophy kill. No, I save my disgust for photos of the damage done by poachers. They (poachers) and loss of habitat are the true dangers to endangered animals.

This disgusts me. Ivory from poaching.
This disgusts me. A poacher-slaughtered rhino with horn removed. 
Melissa Bachman, famous trophy hunter, does not disgust me. I may not understand the appeal of hunting of any kind, but she does this legally and pays plenty. And that money goes to help protect endangered species.
 
Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Little America' by REM & 'Always The Sun' by The Stranglers
Second ad break bumpers: 'Nobody Told Me' by John Lennon & 'Driving The Dynamite Truck' by Breaking Circus
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment