1.09.2017

dimland radio 1-7-17 show notes

Ram By The Yoleus

The Yoleus is a friend's band. They play rockin' instrumental tunes. My friend is the guitarist and he's pretty damn good.

Well, a while back I thought I had better use a theme song for Dimland Radio for which I had permission. I had been using the song Ahead by UK postpunk band Wire, but I didn't have their permission. I decided to ask Dave if I could use a song by The Yoleus and he said OK.

I chose Ram. At first it felt odd as my opening tune, but then it quickly felt just right. I talked about the song, because I had found a video clip of The Yoleus playing it live at St. Paul's Turf Club bar. You can find a link to that video at the bottom of these show notes along with the links to the songs I play leading in and out of my breaks and a link to the show's closing song.

Correction

I talked a bit more about this whole trophy hunting thing and the ire it raises on social media. But, first, I had to correct something I mentioned on the previous show. I talked about the comeback of the White Rhino. The comeback took place in South Africa over the past 100 years. I had the numbers wrong. I had said the population numbers went from about 500 to 50,000. That's not right. The numbers given in the Adam Ruins Everything video had the White Rhino population go from approximately 100 to 18,000 in the past 100 years.

Whoops. My mistake.

A Response! 

I've been posting on Facebook that Adam Ruins Everything clip on how trophy hunting can help endangered species for a while now. I talked about this on the previous show and I mentioned then that no one has responded with as much as an, "Oh, yeah?!"

Well, what do you know? Someone finally did. Their first comment was to link to an article reporting on the lowering numbers of cheetahs in Africa and Asia. The reasons given are loss of habitat, poaching, and loss of prey. There's also a desire for cheetah cubs as pets. There was no mention of trophy hunting, poorly managed or otherwise.  It also reports the lowering numbers have led to a push to have the cheetah classified as endangered.

The commenter then shared two images of the Trump sons posing proudly with their trophy kill: a leopard. I pointed out that it was a leopard and not a cheetah. The commenter then posted an article on how leopards' numbers are dwindling and that there is a push to list them as endangered, as well.

The reasons given in the article for the loss of leopards was due to poaching and poorly managed trophy hunting. Well, finally a link to trophy hunting, but note it's poorly managed trophy hunting. The Adam piece does acknowledge some trophy hunting programs are not well run, but is that a reason to end the trophy hunting that is well managed and having positive results?

And! When you follow the link in that article, as I did, to the source for the reasons of the loss of leopards, a few more reasons are given than just poaching and poorly managed trophy hunting. Also listed are: Increased human populations, habitat fragmentation, excessive harvesting for ceremonial skins, and loss of prey. Poorly managed trophy was mentioned last.

I find it curious the article the commenter linked only mentions poaching and trophy hunting.  

I assured the commenter that I endorse animal species whose numbers are getting dangerously low be listed as endangered and protected. I also let him know I'm not a fan of the Trumps.

Is It Me?
 
Well, it couldn't be me, could it?

I talked about an exchange I had with a FB "friend" after he posted a message from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger. The former governor of California has made it his mission to get America off of fossil fuels. He believes we can do it.

I applauded his message, but I commented that Arnold should have included sources for his claims of 7 million deaths a year being attributed to air pollution and 19,000 deaths a day connected directly to fossil fuel pollution. The humorless fellow who had shared the governor's messages provided several links.

He then got into an argument with me because I said it would have been better had Arnold supplied to sources in his note. I was happy to get the sources and I let the fellow know that. I also let him know I didn't dispute the former bodybuilding champ's claims. Just Arnold should cite his sources.

Well, this guy wasn't getting the point and he accused me of moving the goalposts and just wanting to argue.

Is it me?

Celebrity Deaths 2016
 
It sure does seem as those a lot of celebrities died in 2016. Certainly the number of A listers was pretty surprising. From David Bowie to Prince to Gene Wilder to Carrie Fisher, it seemed like a bloodbath. From what I've heard the actual numbers aren't that much higher than average.

But what constitutes a celebrity? Without the internet and a little homemade sex video, I doubt the world would have any idea who the Kardashians are and they wouldn't be nearly as wealthy. So, I discussed that the ways of becoming a celebrity have increased since the early days of the 20th century.

I also leveled with listeners. Our celebrity heroes of our youth are getting old. We ought to expect more and more of them to die.

 2016 Wasn't All Bad
 
Putting aside the celebrity deaths and the disappointment for a little more than half the American electorate in November, 2016 had some positive news as well.

A fellow named Matt Strange compiled a list of some of the good things that happened over the course of last year. It's a long list, but it does have some inaccuracies. The Toronto Star hunted down the veracity of each of Mr Strange's claims. Click here for The Star's verified list of the good stuff from 2016.

I mentioned a few other positive things as well.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Rapture' by Blondie & 'Ahead' by Wire
Second ad break bumpers: 'De Do Do Do De Da Da Da' by The Police & 'It All Depends' by Figures
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment