1.23.2017

dimland radio 1-21-17 show notes

Who Named Led Zeppelin?

It is difficult to say. There are a few differing versions of the story. I went over the version I was familiar with and the variations of it. It seems clear that this history is difficult to know for certain and that, as far as naming the band, Keith Moon and John Entwistle of The Who were at least involved. 

Behind The Name has this version. And starting at the 15 minute mark of a Led Zeppelin documentary we get another version. I also mentioned Beck's Bolero with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page, featuring Keith Moon on drums. Moon blasts and screams his way on at about 1:38. I believe I said John Entwistle also plays on this song. He does not. John Paul Jones is on bass.

Planetary Retrograde Just Looks That Way From Earth

Astrology is still popular. Hard to believe, but it is. And I have friends who still buy into that silliness. In the early days of my hanging out in the Z Talk chat room, I kept hearing show hosts and guests attributing various odd occurrences to some planet in our solar system being in retrograde. I didn't quite understood what they were talking about, but I have since learned that a planet in retrograde means that its orbit appears to have gone weird.

Before smart people of the past figured out (and accepted the fact) that the earth isn't the center of the universe, and that our sun is the center of the system of planets and other bodies, including earth; people believed the planets changed direction in their orbits around our planet. In reality, all those bodies, including earth, orbit the sun. When that was figured out the apparent retrograde movement of the planets made sense. 

Retrograde is just the way the planets appear to move when viewed from earth. Besides, the planets have no effect on us anyway. Astrology is just silly.

A Complaint About The Inauguration

Being a staunch supporter of science and scientific skepticism, I was not a supporter of Donald Trump. I was not happy when he was elected. Still, because it is a moment in history and I support the American tradition of the (mostly) peaceful transfer of power, I watched the Inauguration Day coverage.

I didn't complain about the coverage. I didn't complain about our new President's speech. Nope. I complained about the fact that Pres. Trump doesn't button his suit coat when standing.

Last winter, I became a suit owner for the first time in my life. In preparation, I studied suit etiquette or whatever you call it. I learned that when standing while wearing a suit, it is to be buttoned. Below are the rules of how men are to button their suits.
Now, I don't know who makes the rules, but there they are. And Pres. Trump doesn't seem to be aware of the rules. Perhaps he's trying to set a new trend. To my eye, though, a suit looks better buttoned.

Now why the second or third button is even included on a two or three button suit coat is a mystery to me. According to the rules, it is to never be buttoned. I speculated as to why the button is even there.

That led me to an old rant about how men's suit have become too small. At least, the hip, young fellows are wearing them that way. I don't like the look of the coat appearing to strain at the button and I don't care for the skinny pants and low waist lines.

Go ahead, call me a curmudgeon.

A Family Of Blobsqatches At Yellowstone

Oh, yeah. A family of bigfoots. Can't get any clearly than that.
So, yet another fuzzy video of a bigfoot has surfaced. A whole family of them, in fact. One of the cameras placed in Yellowstone National Park has captured half a dozen or so dark blobs milling about in the snow. I just can't see how anyone would get excited about this one. It's pretty clear to me upon watching the video that it's just a group of people, human beings, hanging out in Yellowstone. Simple as that.

But, I do have a shame on me to point out related to this story. The preview image on Facebook included in the link to the story (see photo above) looked as though the dark blobs might be American bison. They are known to hang out in Yellowstone. I suggested just that in the comment thread. However, I made that suggestion before watching the video. The video clearly negates my bison hypothesis.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." ~ Dr. Theodore Woodward

"When you see dark blobs in a video that look like people moving about, think people not bigfoots." ~ Jim 'Dr Dim' Fitzsimons  


Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time this week, so you are on your own.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Throw Your Arms Around Me' by Hunters & Collectors & 'Under Cover Of The Night' by The Rolling Stones
Second ad break bumpers: 'Never Follow' by Naked Raygun & 'Entre Nous' by Rush
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment