4.24.2017

dimland radio 4-22-17 show notes

My Wife Should Take Your Next Selfie

My wife is an artist and she has a particular talent for taking selfies. She's done many of them, but she doesn't show them off. She's barely shown me any, but what I have seen are brilliant. The images are well composed, hard to tell they are selfies, and she looks great in them.
 
The other day, she was in the bedroom taking a few selfies, when I came in to give her a little cuddle. I suggested she do a selfie of us. She snapped a few shots and below is the best of them.
 
Yep. It's a selfie.
I compared this picture of the two of us to the work of two photographers who worked with The Beatles very early on. Astrid Kerchherr, a photographer, was the girlfriend of Stuart Sutcliffe, an artist and very early member of The Beatles. He left the band to pursue his art. However, he died young of a brain aneurysm, the cause of which is unknown, but it is believed by some to have come from a head injury suffered in a fight after a gig with the band. Kerchherr was one of the first photographers to document the Fab Four (five in those days with Sutcliffe) in their period before Brian Epstein and Ringo Starr.
 
Kerchherr in a self portrait with Sutcliffe.
Robert Freeman is the photographer responsible for the photograph used on the cover of The Beatles' second album: With The Beatles (or Meet The Beatles for the American version). The black and white image of the four mop tops is iconic. I think the image my wife made of us is a kind of combination of both those two photographers' work.
 
The iconic cover by Freeman.
If you're considering doing a selfie, you should have my wife do it for you. Of course, she'll have to be in the picture with you.

Memorial Service For Ed

Two weeks ago I talked about the loss of a distant family member. Ed was just 44 years old, when cancer took his life. On this show, I talked about the Celebration of Life service, which was very well done and so very moving. Ed's friendship and loyalty and good nature really touched many people deeply.
 
I also made sure to mention the friends and family who have helped Ed and his wife Dawne through the final stages of his life. They really stepped up and went all out for Ed and Dawne. I was so impressed by their efforts.
 
United Airlines Had A Little PR Problem
 
Of course, you've all heard of the fellow forcibly removed from a NOT overbooked United flight. It was a full flight in which some customers had to eventually randomly "volunteer" to give up their seats to four United Airlines employees. One of the four passengers, David Dao, refused and we all know how that went. Dao has a pretty strong case against the airline.
 
United Airlines is changing their current policy that customer is always expendable. We'll see how that works out.
 
But, I started to go on a rant about the amateur video of the incident. I think two videos surfaced and were featured on the news and both were in the foul, disgusting, awful, sickening, disorienting, frustrating portrait (vertical) format! Yes, I started to rant, but I stopped myself. Listeners have heard this rant before and I realized that my beef isn't with the amateur videographers. (Well, some of it is. I mean, it's not that difficult to turn the smart device 90 degrees, so that the video is in landscape.)
 
My beef is with the designers of those smart devices. I know there are apps that people can use that formats video in landscape no matter what angle the camera is held. But, we shouldn't need an app. These devices ought to be set with video being in landscape by default. If a person wants to make in vertically formatted video (why would anyone want to?), they would need to change the default setting.
 
So, Apple, Samsung, Sony, and all the rest of you smart device designers...I'm talking to you. Get on it!

Alex Jones Is A Performance Artist?
 
Alex Jones, internet sensation whose syndicated radio show is on Z Talk Radio (check the show schedule page), is a apparently performance artist. This is according to his lawyer, who is trying to win a child custody battle for the false flag-claiming, conspiracy theorist, bag of hot air. So, does this mean Jones is full of shit? Well, we already know that.
 
But is he admitting it now? Well, not on his show, he isn't. Apparently, only in court.
 
Steer Clear Of Demonic Knick-Knacks
 
According to former New Age/Hindu dude turned Christian evangelizing YouTuber, Steven Bancarz, people should remove all demonic symbols from their houses. This includes crystals, tarot cards, and other fairly obvious items. But, your house should also be rid of any yoga related material: books, mats, videos, exercise equipment, and, I suppose, yoga pants. (Mmmmm yoga pants.) And all items that are related to Hinduism have to go, as well.

Why? Well, these items are all portals through which demons can move into your place of dwelling and mess with your life and, presumably, property values.

I have a demonic item in my house (probably a lot more than just one). My demon statuette stands on a shelf in the living room. So far, he's been an ideal guest. We don't even have to feed him.
 
Your show host and his demon.   
Talk About The Ten Commandments
 
I talked about both the 1956 classic film and the rules that Moses...er...God wrote. Well, neither of them wrote them, as the whole Exodus story never happened. There were no Hebrew slaves toiling away in Egypt, so there was no great purge of a massive labor force, no walking through the Red Sea, and no wandering around the wilderness for 40 years.
 
Be that as it may, there is a movie (more than one) of this nonexistent historical event. Cecil B DeMille's epic classic The Ten Commandments stars Charlton Heston, Yul Brenner, Yvonne DeCarlo, Ann Baxter, Edward G Robinson, and Vincent Price. The production, set design, and cinematography are beautiful. The music by Elmer Bernstein is powerful. And the special effects are pretty good for 1956.
 
The dialogue is...ridiculous! The way the characters talk in the film is so pretentious in its poetic nature. Every character is a poet, from Pharaoh on down to the slave walking straw into the mud pits to make bricks. It's so over the top and so not the way human beings talk.
 
I love it!
 
I mention a few of the more ridiculous moments in the film. Especially good, I think, is the reaction of a group of sisters when they see Moses sleeping in the bushes. "A MAN!"
 
I also talked about the Ten Commandments themselves. I noted the first four all pertain to God. That seems a bit needy to me. I suggested swapping three of those four out for the following:

Thou shalt not own slaves.
Thou shalt not rape.
Thou shalt not abuse children.
 
Those seem fairly obvious to me, but they didn't occur to God.
 
Movie Recommendation: The Ten Commandments (1956) & Secretary (2002)
 
 
 
What other movie could I recommend after having so much fun with it on the show? 
 
Weeeeellll, I did mention a little BDSMish film starring Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader. This 2002 film is pretty saucy. I fondly recall a certain spanking scene. Now I'm not necessarily into that kind of thing, but the scene was rather...enjoyable. From what I hear, having not seen it myself, Secretary is far superior to that 50 Grey Shades movie.
 
 
 
So, depending on your mood, these could make for an interesting (and long) double feature.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Buck Hill' by The Replacements & 'Raspberry Beret' by Prince
Second ad break bumpers: 'One Step Ahead' by Split Enz & 'War Dance' by Killing Joke
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment