5.15.2017

dimland radio 5-13-17 show notes

Technical Problem Forced Hiatus

The laptop needed a new hard drive, so I was unable to record the show. That put me on hiatus for a couple weeks. Fortunately, we still had some money from our tax refund and my wife has the know-how, so the laptop wasn't down for too long.
 
Dimland Radio ARGH!
 
You'd think the argh would be about the tech problems, but it's not.
 
This argh has to do with a couple of the podcasts that I listen to and extraneous noises. Noises that could be avoided with minimal effort. I realize that there are noises that occur on my show such as cars or motorcycles rumbling by or the occasional fireworks explosion, etc. But I do my best to prevent the noises I can prevent: shuffling paper, tapping, shifting the chair.
 
So, it really annoys me when I listen to a podcast, which is edited, mine is not, and there are noises that could be avoided. The one in particular that  gets under my skin is the sound of ice clinking in a glass. The sound made when a host is drinking an iced beverage.
 
There are two podcasts guilty of this. Both have two hosts and both, as I said, are edited. The editor must surely hear all that clinking being done by one host as the other is speaking, right?
 
Advice to podcasters: Do not drink iced beverages in glasses while recording your show. Your listeners can hear the clinking.
 
ARGH!

Dimland Radio Science Heroes: Steve Spears, Brad Williams, & Gayle From DC
 
Steve and Brad host the very popular podcast Stuck in the 80s. On a recent show, the topic of anti-vaxxers came up. The two hosts and their guest co-host, Gayle from DC, all voiced their disappointment with such anti-science sentiments. Brad's family was needlessly touched by the low herd immunity in large part caused by the anti-vax message: Vaccines cause autism. They do not!
 
Brad was willing to talk privately with listeners of the podcast who had their misgivings about vaccines. Steve was less accommodating.
 
The three of them are correct in their support of vaccination, quite probably the single greatest development in medical science.
 
Speaking Of Anti-Vax
 
Minneapolis currently finds itself the center of a measles outbreak. As of the recording of this show, there are more than confirmed 50 cases. This outbreak is mainly affecting the local Somali-American community, its children in particular, and has been reportedly linked to anti-vax sentiments.

Where anti-vaxxers go, vaccine preventable diseases follow.

Stephen Fry A Blasphemer?
 
Stephen Fry was almost a victim of some kind of new Inquisition. In 2009, the Irish government passed an anti-blasphemy law. It's intent was to protect minority religions in a predominantly Catholic country. But, I always bristle at the idea of limiting free speech.
 
In 2015, Fry was a guest on an Irish television show hosted by Gay Byrne. Byrne, an apparent believer in God and an afterlife, asked Fry, an outspoken atheist, what he would say to God, should it turn out Fry was wrong, when he arrived at the Pearly Gates.
 
"Bone cancer in children?" was part Fry's critical response. He went on to call God, if there is one, "capricious," "mean-spirited," and "stupid." This was greeted with a bit of eye-rolling on the part of the show's host.
 
It was also greeted with a formal complaint lodged by a viewer under the blasphemy law. What century is this?
 
Irish authorities began an investigation. The punishment is for those found guilty is a hefty fine. I suppose that is an improvement over burning at the stake.

The investigation was short-lived. The authorities cited the one complaint wasn't enough to warrant looking any further into the matter. So, Fry is off the hook.
 
Although the fellow who lodged the complaint loses points for doing so. He does get a few back for his reasonable response, "I did my civic duty in reporting it. The guards did their duty in investigating it. I am satisfied with the result."

The Mandela Effect And The JFK Assassination
 
In psychology it's called confabulation, people are so certain their misremembering of something that evidence to the contrary seems absolutely wrong. "They were called Berenstein Bears when I was a kid!" Actually, they were always the Berenstain Bears. Folks are just remembering it wrong.
 
Nelson Mandela did not die in prison, yet many people remember it that way. This, too, is confabulation, but it has led to the popular naming of the phenomenon as the Mandela Effect.
 
I, myself, have fallen victim to the Mandela Effect. In fact, it affected me during the show while I was trying to demonstrate that the last three words of Queen's 'We Are The Champions' are not "of the world." I had thought it was and it was so ingrained in my thinking that it came out wrong in my demonstration. I wish I could say I planned it, but I didn't. I'm glad I caught it right away, though.
 
The proper reaction to learning you have fallen victim to the Mandela Effect is, "Oh, that's what it is? I always though it was something else. I guess I was wrong." And then incorporate the correct information into your memory banks.
 
The incorrect reaction is, "Oh, wow! We must be connecting with a parallel universe in which the way we remember that thing happened that way." Or, "They are trying to change history!"
 
Paranormal believers and conspiracy theorists appear to react in those two ways, respectively.
 
For instance, memories of the JFK assassination seem to have some confabulating going on. People are discovering the car the President was shot in had three rows of seats and six people in it, not the two rows and four people as they remember it.
 
Three rows, six people. If you thought there were less rows and people, you were wrong.
This wrong memory seems to be due to reenactments, made over the years since the event, of the assassination using the wrong style of convertible. I can only guess as to why the wrong style was used. It may have been out of convenience or the exact car wasn't available. I don't think it's an effort to change our history.
 
It was always three rows and six people. We are just remembering it wrong.
 
This led me to finding out there is someone else on whom to place the blame for President Kennedy's murder. Of course, we should all know it was Lee Harvey Oswald acting alone who was responsible for the horrendous act; but, conspiracy theorists don't want to accept that explanation.

Nope. Oswald was a patsy, at most. The real person responsible, according to at least one conspiracy theorist, was Jackie Kennedy. That's right. She took the kill shot. It's so obvious when you slow the Zapruder film down and enlarge it. Jackie was mad at her husband for sleeping around and she decided to kill him in the most public way she could. But she didn't want to get caught, so she hid the handgun. Which you can see in the film...
 
Oh, I have got to be kidding!
 
Well, I'm not. That idea is out there. Way out there.
 
I won't to link to the conspiracy-mongering videos, but you can go to YouTube and search "Mandela Effect JFK assassination" and you should be able to find a couple videos discussing the ludicrous ideas. Be warned! The video about Jackie being the assassin spends four minutes repeatedly showing the President's head exploding.
 
Movie Recommendation: None
 
Too much other stuff to talk about, I didn't have time. You're on your own this week.
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'No Language In Our Lungs' by XTC & 'I Want You Back' by Hoodoo Gurus
Second ad break bumpers: 'Analog Kid' by Rush & 'Mammoth Gardens' by Game Theory
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment